Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!! My late-2013 MacBook pro won't load past black screen

It started last night. My MBP froze, but I could move the cursor around the screen. When I'd bring the dock up there was a normal arrow, but as soon as I moved it back over the screen where the program was open, it would change to the color wheel loading cursor.

So I did a hard reset (held the power button for 5 secs) and tried to restart it.

The start up sound chimed and the Apple logo on the black background came up, with a progress bar underneath. It stopped around 50% after about 3 minutes of loading and that's as far as it would get.

I tried to boot up into safe mode but it seemed like it wasnt even trying to, as I got the same result as before with the logo and status bar.

So I tried cmnd-r to see if I could use time machine or reinstall the OS, but it wouldn't load any backups, and when trying to reinstall the OS, it said I didn't have enough free space to do so.

I haven't the faintest idea what to do. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 6:25 AM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2015 6:38 AM in response to Rockstar831

Try booting with the Option key held down. If you see two hard drive icons, select Recovery and continue.

On the next screen, select Disk Utility and continue to the DU screen.

There select the hard drive, First aid and click Repair Disk.

When complete, quit DU and restart as usual.

If the computer boots, the first thing you should do is to trash as much as you can off the hard drive, and empty trash.

Feb 8, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Rockstar831

The wifi connection that you see is to get you to internet recovery. But it seems you already tried that and got the message there is not enough free space.

Do you have access to another Mac? You could try connecting your computer to another one using Target Disk Mode. That will let you look at your clogged up hard drive and get rid of some stuff you do not need. Once the drive has sufficient free space you can try again to get internet recovery working.

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

HELP!! My late-2013 MacBook pro won't load past black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.