Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Benefits of ethernet on Mac LC III (LC-PDS Card)?

I am considering purchasing an LC-PDS card for my Macintosh LC III. Before I do, however, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be in any way beneficial or useful to have one installed on a computer running System 7.6. For instance, what will installing that card allow me to do?

• Does it allow for basic file sharing between, say, the LC III and another Mac on OS 9.2.2?
  • Will I be able to access any of my files on other computers over the internal network?
  • Does it provide any internet connectivity and if so, to what extent?
  • Will I be able to visit a few text-only websites?
  • Does a working browser even exist for System 7.6?

Any feedback or advice is very much welcomed. Thanks!

Macintosh LC III-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, System 7.6, 32MB RAM, 25MHz

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 7:13 AM

lazarusnine wrote:

I am considering purchasing an LC-PDS card for my Macintosh LC III. Before I do, however, I was wondering if anyone could tell me

Does a working browser even exist for System 7.6?

iCab still has a browser that will work on the 68K machines.

3 replies

Feb 8, 2015 8:21 AM in response to lazarusnine

The alternative would be slower connections via the Modem and Printer ports (to an external serial modem or a LocalTalk network). So, yes, an Ethernet card is a good thing to add.

>Does it allow for basic file sharing between, say, the LC III and another Mac on OS 9.2.2?

Yes. See, for example, the table in the guide at http://www.applefool.com/se30/#afpnetwork .

>Will I be able to access any of my files on other computers over the internal network?

Yes, but the type of connection/sharing depends upon the combination of operating systems (again, see the guide above). If a "standard" file sharing is not possible, there is always FTP available. You can use an FTP client on the LC III, or you could turn the LC III into an FTP server (via the now free NetPresenz).

>Does it provide any internet connectivity and if so, to what extent?

Yes, but web surfing using a normal browser will be limited and slow. The TCP/IP software as such is part of System 7.6. You can connect the Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of a router.

>Will I be able to visit a few text-only websites?

Yes, that is a better way. Use a text-based web browser like WannaBe.

Jan

Feb 9, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you for this very useful set of responses. I tried to click 'This Answered My Question', but I had an issue and it selected the response above yours. To be fair, both were extremely helpful and you have both convinced me that I should consider the LC PDS ethernet card for some basic connectivity. While I was familiar with iCab, I didn't know about WannaBe, so thanks for that suggestion as well.

Benefits of ethernet on Mac LC III (LC-PDS Card)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.