Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I open Motion 5.1.2 projects in Motion 5.0?

Hello,

I'm working on a system that has motion 5.1 installed and I'm going to continue to work on a system that has 5.0 installed tomorrow. I was wondering if I'll have any issues opening my 5.1 project in 5.0? The only reason I ask is because I'm opening a motion 5.0 project in 5.1 and it's asking me to "save as" a new project.

Thank you!

-andrew

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 8:36 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Jentera

Perhaps a better way to state this is: "I started a project in Motion 5.0 at work, then I came home and opened it in Motion 5.1 on my home system. It asked me if I wanted to save a new version and that once saved, it can't be opened by previous versions of motion. Is 5.0 a "previous" version to 5.1?" Thank you!

Feb 8, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Jentera

Yes... 5.0 is a previous version to 5.1. It is not likely you will be able to open your project in 5.0. It is highly recommended that you upgrade the 5.0.x version. It's a free upgrade. The only downside to upgrading is people with older versions of FCPX will not be able to run the newer version template in FCPX. It's been a real pain that Apple hasn't kept "versioning" between FCPX and Motion with similar numberings. However, FCPX is only compatible with Motions templates from versions that are *concurrent* with a particular version of FCPX, or older (if that makes any sense to you.) FCPX has maintained compatibility with all templates from previous versions of Motion 5.

Can I open Motion 5.1.2 projects in Motion 5.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.