Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer files mac to mac manually?

I am trying to transfer files from one mac to another mac. The older mac was not backed up to external drive so doing this via ethernet cord. Note that I did successfully replace my new mac with the old mac configuration via Migration Assistant. However that is NOT what I wanted to do. I do not one all the apps and other files that are on the old mac only select files and no apps. So I was able to recover a day earlier so my new mac is back to being new. But now I am at step zero.

So my specific questions are do I need to use Migration Assistant? And if I do how and where in the process do I relay that I only want select files? If I do not have to use Migration Assistant then what is the process for transferring the files. I see the option for sharing but will that save the files to the new mac?

Thank in advance for your detailed response.

Macbook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 11:34 AM

8 replies

Feb 8, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy...the only problem is the the graphics card is not working correctly in the old mac. I get yellow lines like a plaidish pattern all across the screen. Long story don't want to get into it. But short part is I can't see jack crap to make file sharing changes in the old mac. I lucked up yesterday and after the system was off for a VERY LONG time. No graphics issues but as soon as it warmed up the tedious issue was back. So I really need to use Migration Assistant which I can see enough of to make changes or click continue in the old mac. The old mac is a Mid 2010 so if you can send me a screen shot of the file share screen I will have an idea of what I am selecting.

Feb 13, 2015 4:24 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy....I am just getting back to this now that the weekend is here. Okay I have a few questions. Note this is all a little new to me....so thank you for your patience.

1) So when I put my old computer with bad graphics in Target Disc Mode I should be able to get files?

2) Do I have connect using firewire or can I used an ethernet connection?

3) When in Target Disc Mode does my old computer have to have file sharing indicated?

Thanks for your help.

How do I transfer files mac to mac manually?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.