Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple network unusably slow on Virgin media wifi

For fifteen years I've effortlessly been using macs networked together over wifi, but on our new Virgin Media home network, the connection between our 5 macs is unbearably slow. The Virgin hub is super fast, and we have a 100mb connection, but for example transferring a 25mb file between two macs takes around 8 minutes. It is quicker to upload to dropbox and then download to the second machine, than it is to send it between the two macs less than 20 feet apart over the network. At work the same wifi set up with a BT router is still practical and fast (yes a couple of machines are linked over ethernet, but many are not).

Has anyone had experience of this and know of any way to speed up the networking between the macs?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 9:32 AM

4 replies

Feb 10, 2015 4:27 AM in response to paul2104

I have the wifi part of the SuperHub turned off. I have connected an AirPort Extreme to it to act as WiFi router and this works fine. (I know this is effectively duplicating functionality allegedly provided by VM, but support is usually so abysmal that I prefer to have something that's under my control rather than theirs. Of course, if something does go wrong, VM insists that I disconnect my router. I usually play along whilst they reach the conclusion that the problem is theirs and external to my network!)

Apple network unusably slow on Virgin media wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.