Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete the Mail App from my Mac computer?

Hello- I know the Mail App on my computer takes up space because it downloads all of the mail you have stored- online I use Gmail.

An Apple store tech deleted the content a long time ago but he told never to touch the App again or else everything would load back up.

Unfortunately, I touched it again! My computer is now running out of space and I would like to delete the content of the Mail App again- besides, I never use it!

Help! Thank you!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 9:31 AM

No, de-activating the account will not delete the old emails - it will just prevent it from downloading new ones. You will still need to delete the old emails. Got to your User account (Home icon) > Library (it is now hidden: hit Option key while clicking on Go in menu bar) > Mail and navigate to the folder that has all your emails in it. Do not throw out the folder, just the emails - they should end with .emlx. There are probably several folders - check each one. Drag all the emails to the trash and empty.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2015 9:31 AM in response to ReginaPVR

No, de-activating the account will not delete the old emails - it will just prevent it from downloading new ones. You will still need to delete the old emails. Got to your User account (Home icon) > Library (it is now hidden: hit Option key while clicking on Go in menu bar) > Mail and navigate to the folder that has all your emails in it. Do not throw out the folder, just the emails - they should end with .emlx. There are probably several folders - check each one. Drag all the emails to the trash and empty.

Feb 8, 2015 12:11 PM in response to ReginaPVR

Do a Finder/Spotlight search for folders named " INBOX.mbox " - open it > Select All > press ⌘ Command + delete > press ⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift + delete to empty the Trash

If ypou really want to delete the Mail.App, drag it to the Trash & empty

or

Select " Mail " in the Applications folder > press ⌘ Command + delete > press ⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift + delete to empty the Trash

ÇÇÇ

Feb 8, 2015 12:29 PM in response to ReginaPVR

You might want to reconsider: simply do delete the emails, but it is generally not recommended to delete an application which was installed as part of the OS.

The reason you are getting the emails is because you have set up Mail to fetch your Gmail emails. If you want to open the Mail app and go to Preferences > Accounts, you should see your Gmail account listed - if it is, simply highlight it and click the "enable" to un-enable it. If you want to get rid of it forever, click the minus sign at the bottom. As long as Mail is not configured to fetch the emails, it will not do so.

How do I delete the Mail App from my Mac computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.