Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken iPhone Screen

Hello,

I got an iPhone 6 two weeks ago and put a protective case from Pantone on.

When I was with friends the other day it fell from my pocket, and the screen was broken in pieces! Three other people were with me and can confirm that it fell from my pocket and on a hardwood floor. However, the Greek premium reseller refuses to fix it for free. Paying so much money for a defective iPhone 6 screen sounds ridiculous to me, unless all screens are like that and Apple has really lowered its design standards. Has anyone had the same problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3, null

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 10:46 AM

Same thing happened to my brother!

9 replies

Feb 8, 2015 10:48 AM in response to agamemnonfromathens

Sorry, but dropping the phone has never been covered by the warranty. Since it seems not possible to get the screen replaced in Greece, you'll have to pay the Out-Of-Warranty-Servcie fee to get a new device:

What type of damages are not covered by my warranty?

Apple's Limited Warranty for iPhone excludes coverage for damage resulting from accident, disassembly, unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications. Please review the warranty for further details.

An iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service may be eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service. For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is ineligible for warranty service but eligible for OOW service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details. Refer to this article to check if the Liquid Contact indicator on your product has been triggered.

If your iPhone is not eligible for warranty service, you may wish to contact your carrier for other options.

Apple's Limited Warranty and AppleCare Protection Plan benefits are in addition to rights provided by the EU statutory warranty. For details, click here.

copied from Service Answer Center - iPhone /Greece

Feb 8, 2015 11:03 AM in response to agamemnonfromathens

agamemnonfromathens wrote:

I'm aware of that. What I'm trying to say is that if a 2-week old iPhone screen breaks that easily, it means the screen is defective. Note that it dropped from my pocket, it fell on a hardwood floor and I'm using a protective case.

I've been an iPhone user for the last 5 years and I'm extremely disappointed.

No, it doesn't mean it's defective. It means you dropped glass on a hard surface and it broke.

Did this "protective case" cover the front of the phone? If so, and if the manufacturer claimed it would prevent the screen from breaking (unlikely), then your grievance is with them.

Feb 8, 2015 11:10 AM in response to agamemnonfromathens

agamemnonfromathens wrote:

I'm aware of that. What I'm trying to say is that if a 2-week old iPhone screen breaks that easily, it means the screen is defective. Note that it dropped from my pocket, it fell on a hardwood floor and I'm using a protective case.

I've been an iPhone user for the last 5 years and I'm extremely disappointed.

Irrelevant. And that's not a defect. That's DAMAGE.

You dropped your iPhone. That, and that alone, is the only fact that matters in this case.

If the screen had 'cracked' just all on it's own, without being dropped or impacted or having pressure applied, that might be a defect.

Feb 8, 2015 11:50 AM in response to agamemnonfromathens

Your Highness, relax! From that picture, it's clear that it did not drop flat and even, and the point of impact was in the bottom right corner. It looks like your protective case didn't do it's job properly, or even contributed to the damage.

You've shown a screen that has extensive damage. That's not caused by a defect. That was caused by the drop.

Sorry you're disappointed. But this is a technical support forum, not an emotional support forum.

Contact Apple for your support/service options. Expect to pay for a display replacement or whole unit replacement.

Did you purchase AppleCare Plus?

Broken iPhone Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.