Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I put the new SSD drive in main HDD bay or the Superdrive/Optical bay for a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro?

Hello All,

I'm considering getting a new SSD drive to add on to my Mid-2010 Macbook Pro (13 inches, unibody), and wondering which one of the following two options I should really adapt:

(1) Replace the original OEM hard drive in the main bay with the new SSD drive, and then remove the Superdrive (or the optical CD drive) and to be fitted into an external enclosure for using it externally in the future, and then relocate the original OEM hard drive into the Superdrive position, so both the new SSD (preferably for running the OS and system files) and the old OEM hard drive (for storing media and documents for example) could be used; and

(2) Keep the original OEM hard drive in place in the main drive, and buy a superdrive/optical drive caddy to goes with the new SSD drive, and together place the new SSD drive fitted inside the caddy into the position of the Superdrive/Optical CD drive, and configure the boot preference to be booting from the Superdrive/Optical Drive (which is now the SSD drive with OS and system files);

I've done some researches and some suggested that option (2) is better approach for at least two reason: (a) the MBP main drive come with some sort of shock proof sensor, so placing the original optical hard drive in the main is better than placing it in the super/optical drive where there is NO shock sensing feature provided, and placing SSD in the super/optical drive, one doesn't really have to worry so much about shocks; and (b) as during the process of shutting down the MBP, for optical hard drive, some power will sometimes needed to finally spin down the drive, but if such optical hard drive is place in the superdrive, the power maybe cut off right away when MBP shut down, which may cause issue to the optical hard drive in a long run as it never properly spin it down.

Then the main concern is that, if I adapt option (2) above, placing SSD in the super/optical drive bay and install and running the OS from there, will it decrease the performance (i.e. speed, latency, and etc.) as if i was to put the new SSD in the main drive?

Also, any suggestions with respect to Samsung 840 EVO vs. Samsung 850 EVO (250GB)? any well-rated HD caddy aside from OWC for moving the main HDD to optical CD bay? and perhaps an external enclosure for the Superdrive? Thanks in advance for any comment and/or suggestion.

- Jack

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Upgrading a SSD Drive

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 10:48 AM

Put the SSD where the HDD is and move the HDD to the optical drive bay. The OWC caddy works as it should and it comes with a USB enclosure for the optical drive.

5 replies

Feb 10, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Kappy

Could you provide some rationale(s) behind it? As far as I know, the mid 2010 Macbook Pro, the HDD is running via the SATA interface at running at 3.0 Gb/s, which is SATA II, and the Super-drive and/or the Optical drive, which is also running via SATA II interface, so I would assume the performance (i.e. primarily in speed) would be similar if not the same by placing the SSD drive in either one of the two places.

Also, wouldn't it be better by placing the SSD in the optical so the OEM HDD could be kept in the original main bay since it has the shock-sensing feature there?

Feb 6, 2016 4:54 AM in response to jzheng720

Due to storage and speed inconvenient, I had chosen the option one you mentioned above to upgrade my Macbook pro (mid 2012) with a Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB placing in the main hard drive and remove the original HHD into a caddy (optical drive).

It kept running well during the first few months. However, around three months ago, my mac suddenly ran very slowly although I tried to reinstall the new OS X. I went to many Apple service centers but there was no use. I started to test it by myself and I found out that the SSD worked well in the optical drive's place (Caddy) and the HHD also performed well in its original place. So now I am using the option two that you mentioned above: SSD inside the caddy as the primary start up disk and HHD in its original place. About the speed, there is no difference between the two places to put SSD.

This is myself experience! Cheers 😀

Should I put the new SSD drive in main HDD bay or the Superdrive/Optical bay for a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.