Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading my iPhone4 to the latest IO it no longer connects to wifi, how do you fix this?

After upgrading my iPhone4 to the latest IO it no longer connects to wifi, how do you fix this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 11:54 AM

4 replies

Feb 8, 2015 12:01 PM in response to knifepainter

Can you be more specific? Are you unable to connect to any Wifi at all or is the Wifi on but keeps disconnecting? For most Wifi issues, I would try clearing out your Wi-Fi connection by resetting Network settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Then reconnect to Wi-Fi and try again.
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Feb 8, 2015 12:20 PM in response to ZikzakCorp

What I know is that the phone worked perfectly fine until I upgraded the software. I've tried resetting the network settings to no avail. I've shut the phone off, put it in a ziplock baggie and then into the freezer for 15 minutes. This made the wifi work temporarily but then it goes back to being grayed out. The wifi does not work at other wifi sites away from my home as well. Seems like an apple issue to me and would appreciate someone coming up with a fix, apparently I'm not the only one having this problem. Thanks for replying to my query, any ideas?

Feb 8, 2015 12:24 PM in response to knifepainter

knifepainter wrote:

What I know is that the phone worked perfectly fine until I upgraded the software. I've tried resetting the network settings to no avail. I've shut the phone off, put it in a ziplock baggie and then into the freezer for 15 minutes. This made the wifi work temporarily but then it goes back to being grayed out. The wifi does not work at other wifi sites away from my home as well. Seems like an apple issue to me and would appreciate someone coming up with a fix, apparently I'm not the only one having this problem. Thanks for replying to my query, any ideas?

It's likely a hardware issue. The iOS will not directly cause this issue.

Use this article first:

iOS: Wi-Fi settings grayed out or dim - http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS1559

If that fails to resolve it, then try setting it up as new and testing again.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4137

If the issue remains even after set up as new, it's a hardware problem, not a software problem. You'll need to contact Apple for you hardware service options. If within warranty it should be free. If not, expect to pay $149 USD + tax if it's an iPhone 4, $199 USD + tax if it's an iPhone 4S.

Feb 8, 2015 4:04 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

I'm sorry but I have a real hard time believing that this is a hardware problem, as I'm sure thousands of others do. If the phone is connected to the wi fi before the upgrade and suddenly doesn't work after upgrading the operating system there is no way in **** it is a hardware problem. If somehow the hardware and software are tied together in some manner that leads to a conflict when upgrading the customer should have been notified before upgrading in order to make a informed decision about whether or not to upgrade. This business about paying Apple 150 bucks to solve their problem is BS. I'm stuck with my phone for another year in my contract with the service provider before I can get another one at a reasonable cost. If Apple doesn't come up with a fix for this it is unlikely that I will go with another iPhone.

I reset my phone and then restored the data. Still no wi fi. Put the phone in the fridge and wonder of wonders I have wi fi, although only temporarily. WTH?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.