Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to setup touch id. Please go back and try again

Hi,

I have iPhone 6+, the touch id previously worked fine, I just removed all stored finger prints as it gave me error in unlocking a few times.

First I just kept trying to clean, it didn't work so I tried re-registering the finger prints.

Now it won't allow to configure any finger prints.

The software is 8.1.3 version and error it gives is as follows;

Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again.

Kindly advise, how to proceed.

Thanks.

Br,

Mansion.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 9:51 AM

Hello mansoorab,

It sounds like you have verified the Touch ID sensor is clean, but no matter what you do you cannot add any fingers at all to your Touch ID settings. I would start by quitting the Settings app:

iOS: Force an app to close

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persits use these steps from the following article:

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad

1. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring. If it does, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  2. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on. Also make sure that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  3. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for help.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2015 9:51 AM in response to mansoorab

Hello mansoorab,

It sounds like you have verified the Touch ID sensor is clean, but no matter what you do you cannot add any fingers at all to your Touch ID settings. I would start by quitting the Settings app:

iOS: Force an app to close

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persits use these steps from the following article:

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad

1. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring. If it does, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  2. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on. Also make sure that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  3. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for help.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Feb 13, 2015 4:34 PM in response to sterling r

Hi,

The problem got worse.. now i have a 900 usd brick, good for nothing 😟

i called up apple support and got the suggestion to use iTunes and restore the phone... it got stuck in the middle and gave error 53.

After that, I have tried several times with various notebooks to restore and it always gives error 53.

Now my phone is stuck, as soon as I turn it on, it shows "connect to iTunes" icon and stays like that.

When I connect with notebook / iTunes, it says your phone needs to be restored, and restore fails with error 53.

Really ****** at this, its just been 2 months since I bought this 6+ 64 Gb.

Cheers,

Mansoor

Unable to setup touch id. Please go back and try again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.