Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to revive my 2G iPod Touch?

So my current generation (iOS 8) iPod Touch is filling up ... I thought I'd move the videos of my grandchildren (some of which used to run on my old 2G iPod Touch) to my old (iOS 4.2.1 iPod Touch) to create some space on my newer iPod Touch.

Fired up the old iPod and did a full reset using iTunes. I noticed that there's no app to play videos and no Podcast app either. I thought I'd use the old iPod to view videos and podcasts and take those off my newer iPod (thereby creating space on the new iPod).

The old iPod works fine ... except I can't play videos or podcasts. Oh, and my Contact list refuses to populate (not so important).

I figured that the old iPod needs some app to play videos ... tried downloading some apps like VLC etc ... but couldn't find one to play on iOS 4.2.1.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to try and get videos to play on the old iPod?

Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 16GB, 2TB

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 2:59 PM

8 replies

Feb 10, 2015 11:39 AM in response to David King1

Hey David King1,

Thanks for the question. iOS 4 for iPod touch included a “Videos” application for videos and movies that are synced from your computer. Is this how you are attempting to transfer the videos over to the older device?

For more information about iOS 4 for iPod touch, check out this user guide:

iPod touch User Guide

For iOS 4.1 Software

manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1553/en_US/iPod_touch_iOS4.1_User_Guide.p df

Thanks,

Matt M.

Feb 10, 2015 12:45 PM in response to David King1

To more easily find compatible apps:

iOSSearch - search the iTunes store for compatible apps.

Apple Club - filter apps by iOS version.

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps on iOS - Apple Club

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

You first have to download the non-compatible version on your computer. Then when you try to purchase the version on your iPod you will be offered a compatible version if one exists.

The hardware on the 2G does not permit updating beyond 4.2.1

Feb 10, 2015 7:04 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks, Matt.

That's very helpful. I will work my way through the links that you've sent.

Meanwhile I should clarify your query about the Videos app. Yes, the app does appear on my iPod Touch.

I'm trying to use iTunes (latest version) to transfer videos to my iPod Touch. Some of these are videos that I've played before on this iPod. All of them are my home videos and are .m4v files, created on my Mac.

iTunes however, gives me an error message when I try to sync these videos to my iPod Touch ... screenshot included.

User uploaded file

And this is what has got me puzzled ...

Cheers,

p.s. Just checked my video files and noticed that these are .mp4 files ... I wonder if that's what is creating the problem? I did try some .m4v files too with the same result as in the screenshot above.

Feb 11, 2015 2:05 AM in response to David King1

Try:

iTunes: May be unable to transfer videos to iPhone, iPad, or iPod

iTunes: Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos

There are many flavors of ,m4v videos and not all are compatible with the iPod. You may have to use a converter like the Free HandBrake to convert them to a compatible format. HandBrake has presets for iPod compatible format.

Feb 11, 2015 3:57 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks, Matt.

You make a good point about the format of videos.

The reason I didn't go down that path was because the videos play in my current generation iPod Touch. So I assumed that the format was OK for iPod viewing.

I'll try converting some with Handbrake and see if that works and post back once I've had a chance to do that.

Thanks again. Much appreciate the effort you're taking to help out.

Cheers

Feb 11, 2015 6:25 PM in response to lllaass

Here's the latest update:

Used Handbrake to create an iPod video. Stuck it in iTunes and tried syncing it with my iPod Touch 2G. No luck. iTunes gave me the same error as before.

Then I accidentally found a setting under the iTunes File menu to "Create New Version" for "iPod and iPhone". Ran that and it worked!! The video transferred to my old iPod T and it works!!

Thank you, Matt, for putting me on the right track to solve this problem. I guess I'll try the Handbrake and/or iTunes route to create a workable version of my videos.

I'm very appreciative of your time and effort/trouble to help with this.

David

Feb 12, 2015 1:49 AM in response to David King1

That was covered in my previous link:

iTunes: May be unable to transfer videos to iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Other video sources

If you didn't purchase your videos from the iTunes Store, they may not be a format that you can play on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. In many cases, you can convert them to the correct format using iTunes.

Depending on your device, choose one of these options:

• Select a video and choose File > Create New Version > Create iPod or iPhone Version.
  • Select a video and choose File > Create New Version > Create iPad or Apple TV Version.

How to revive my 2G iPod Touch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.