Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID for iCloud login

Recently I had to change my Apple ID because my e-mail address changed. When I now try to log on to iCloud, the logon screen defaults to my old disabled Apple ID and won't let me change the Apple ID and only prompts for my password. How can I reset the Apple ID for iCloud?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 4:26 PM

6 replies

Feb 9, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I wish it were that simple. When I try to enter the password I used for the former Apple ID, it gets rejected. When I try clicking on Forgot Password, it asks if I want E-mail authentication or to answer security questions. I can't use E-mail authentication because the old e-mail server has been shut down. The security question option doesn't work because I get prompted for my birthdate, and when I enter it I get a message saying the information doesn't match their records.

I can log on to iCloud with my new Apple ID and password. But each time I turn my computer on, I get the iCloud logon screen with the old Apple ID indicated by default, prompting me for my password.

Feb 9, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Microlen

Microlen wrote:

But each time I turn my computer on, I get the iCloud logon screen with the old Apple ID indicated by default, prompting me for my password.

Is there a 'Cancel' button? If so click it, then go to Settings>iCloud and click 'Sign Out'. If you can do this you will be able to enter the new ID.

If you can't do this you will need to contact Support. Go to https://getsupport.apple.com . Click' See all products and services', then 'More Products and Services, then 'Apple ID', then 'Other Apple ID Topics' then 'Lost or forgotten Apple ID password'. If you have any problems with that try this form: https://www.apple.com/emea/support/itunes/contact.html

Feb 15, 2015 6:03 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you, Roger, it worked! I will note, though, that it worked only after I realized that I had to log on to Microsoft Mail. I normally only use Microsoft Entourage as my e-mail application, but discovered that I had to log on to Microsoft Mail and delete the old e-mail account from there, then follow the steps you provided, to change my Apple ID.

Apple ID for iCloud login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.