Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the Date of the messages in Mail.app all appear as "date_sent"?

I have an IMAP mail account, and it has been added into the Mail.app on my Mac (OS X Yosemite 10.10.2).

As I known, a mail message has three "time stamps", which are date_sent, date_received, and date_internal.

The first two time stamps(date_sent & date_received) are stored in the source of the mail message,

and the last one(date_internal) is stored on the mail server.

This date_internal is the time when this mail message is received on the server for the first time.

Normally, date_received and date_internal are the same or very close to each other.

However, when some old mail messages are synced back to the mail server, these two time stamps are quite different.

For example, I miss-deleted some mail messages on the server, and I have the backup files on my Mac, so I can sync these messages back to the mail server through IMAP protocol.

In the situation above, the date_received is still the origin received time because it is always stored in the source of the mail message, while the date_internal then becomes the time when I sync this mail message.

Unfortunitly, Mai.app uses the date_internal as the default Date appearing in the list, not the date_received, not the date_sent, and even no settings about this can be found.

Can the Mail.app shows the date_received instead of the date_internal in my mail list? Thank you so much!

Btw, I have tried the AppleScript to change the dateReceived element, but the system said my operation is not allowed.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Mail.app, IMAP, Date

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 2:42 AM

2 replies

Can the Date of the messages in Mail.app all appear as "date_sent"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.