Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac won't boot after blue screen

Hi,

My iMac (mid 2011, 27") will not boot anymore. I was making a Facebook post and the screen turned blue. ( blue vertical stripes). After turning it off and on again the Apple logo appears, the progress indicator comes up and after around 20% it disappears and the screen stays grey forever.

I Disconnected all my external hardware except my startup disk, a Lacie thunderbolt SSD. I can not load diagnostics (D), and it will not go to the recovery (Cmd+r).

When I disconnect the SSD a file symbol with a question mark appears. Also loading diagnostics and recovery won't work.

Does anyone have any idea?

Rob

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 8GB Ram

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 3:45 AM

Try the steps here Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup - Apple Support you may need to use internet recovery since you can't access your own recovery partition OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support IF you applied the firmware update Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2015 3:45 AM in response to rprhendriks

Try the steps here Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup - Apple Support you may need to use internet recovery since you can't access your own recovery partition OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support IF you applied the firmware update Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

Feb 9, 2015 4:18 AM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Mike,

I tried all the steps. It will not do a safe boot nor will it do a recovery. Resetting the NVRAM will make the screen brighter ( default setting?). It looks like the progress bar will continue a little bit further during safe boot. When doing a shift cmd V a see a bunch of Linux command come by and then the screen again turns grey.

any other options possible?

regards,

ROb

IMac won't boot after blue screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.