Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Superdrive audio file import issues

Greetings all

I have found an issue that has been replicated on MacBookPro laptops (various versions) and MacBookAir (varios versions) that use the USB superdrive.

Laptops are using 10.9.5 or 10.10 or 10.10.2 and the issue remains persistant across os'.

Some audio files imported to the internal storage from CDs via the USB superdrive exhibit random glitches. The glitches are soemtimes in the same points of the audio file but mostly change to random locations.

eg. Track 3 on a CD will playback from the disc with no glitching. Import via iTunes or copy via finder and the resultant file contains glitches. Delete the file and copy again the gliches change from where they were previously. Importing via iTunes with error correction sometimes helps and may playback glitch free on one system but when copied via dropbox, google drive or usb stick to another system the file will glitch.

CDs being read are CDRs and not commercial CDs, but they are free of blemishes and play without fault in Std CD players.

Making a duplication of the CD to a new media does not resolve the issue.

The only common link (other that being macs 😉 ) is the USB superdrive. Each person has their own superdrive and all were purchased at different times. SO I can only suspect a possible issue with USB connectivity to the superdrive.

Importing the tracks on an iMac running 10.9.5 and builtin superdrive does not suffer this issue.

Anyone else on Mavercks or Yosemite experienceing glitching of audio files imported from USB superdrive?

Many Thanks

Kai

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Thunderbolt Display

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 3:45 AM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2015 8:22 AM in response to kai Mohrholz

i am having the exact same issue as you kai but with official store bought brand new discs.

i never had this problem with my 2007 apple ibook and it's internal dvd drive.

i'm frustrated that i may have to re-rip all my audio cds from the past year.

have you been able to isolate if it comes from the superdrive and if the solution is to buy a different external dvd drive?

Jul 27, 2015 1:53 AM in response to kai Mohrholz

The issue seems to be due to the superdrive and not to encoding by iTunes: when playing the cd in iTunes, the same tracks are distorted. When playing the CD in iTunes on a PC, no distortion occurs.

==> no prolbem with the CD

I could try to connect the superdrive to the PC and see what happens (one of the coming days).

Other possiblitiy: playback with other program.

You don't have to re-rip all your CD's, but you have to listen to the tracks in order to hear whether there is a problem or not.

Sadly, the phenomenon is not necessarily happening during the complete track: I have had tracks where the distortion was in the beginning, but disappeared after a couple of seconds. Don't know whether the inverse can happen: no distortion in beginning, but distortion later on.

A lot of questions and diminished faith in the process.

Jul 27, 2015 1:03 PM in response to edash63

Even weirder!

When I insert a certain CD ("The very best of Chris Rea"), the 3rd track ("Let's Dance") begins distorted. After some 20 seconds, the distortion disappears. When I subsequently restart the track, THERE'S NO MORE DISTORTION.

The same behaviour occurs with iTunes and VLC!

And it gets even better: when I let the superdrive wind down and then restart this track, the same behaviour occurs (distortion, disappearing after some time)

Sep 18, 2015 11:30 AM in response to edash63

edash63,

sorry it took me so long to write back. i was in an area without internet.

i agree. it has to do with the superdrive. i exchanged my superdrive and have found no issue with re-ripped music cds since.

in the future i think i will buy a different type of external drive rather than the apple superdrive.

there has to be a better built on. i've heard external tray drives are more solid than the slot ones.

i will probably start with one of those.

thanks!

USB Superdrive audio file import issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.