Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iphone

I'm dealing with something similar, not exactly what you guys are dealing with but the same message ( This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this Iphone ).. I purchase a 3rd party Mophie juice pack for my phone and the moment I plug it in I get that ****! Message Ugh! So annoying because the cases that the have available for iphone6 as juice pack i'm not really feeling beside this one. Any advice or tips ?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 7:04 AM

3 replies

Feb 9, 2015 7:45 AM in response to jean2204

The Mophie pack is not the problem, the cable is the issue. The battery pack provides power, no data. There is no intelligence in the battery pack interface. You have a cable that is not Apple certified and Apple is rejecting the cable. The intelligence is in the cable and Apple has the ability to detect the type of cable as there is intelligence built in to the cable.

You can charge your phone with any USB power be it computer, wall adapter or even a vehicle USB port. As long as the voltage is correct and a minimum amount of current is available you can charge the device. I use Anker product, Mophie products and my vehicle USB ports to charge iPads and iPhones. But I am using Apple cables. That is the key difference.

Mar 5, 2015 10:40 AM in response to jean2204

Your device may have been "bricked."

To prevent counterfeit electronic components from being sold on the market, the original manufacturers of semiconductor companies sometimes "brick" those fake ones that are being sold or even already installed in a product like a Mophie. How?

When MS or Apple update their OSs, they request newer updated drivers and firmwares to these peripheral and accessories manufacturers. This is when the manufacturers of the chips provide updated firmwares with code that are designed to lock out or "brick" any counterfeits chips. The fake chips essentially becomes a useless brick sitting on a circuit board inside your devices rendering your accessory useless too.

But you say all your devices are from MS or Apple direct and therefore must be 100% genuine. And still does not work. Here is why.

FTDI is a chip manufacture that almost monopolized the usb controller chip market for many years. And with explosive growth in USB devices on the market with advancement of phones and other personal gadgets, many counterfeit companies saw an opportunity and decided to make fake usb controllers in massive scale. Of course, all the counterfeit chips had the name FTDI and the model number (FT232RL or similar) written across the chip and even your computers could not tell apart whether it was real or fake. Probably most parts supplier or the manufacturer like Mophie had no way of knowing these were fake components and innocently purchased these chips thinking that they were buying the genuine products.

FTDI realizing these counterfeit issue, they decided to brick all the chips claiming to be FT232 chip that are mounted and installed in your products. This drastic action by the FTDI affected millions of products unknowingly made with counterfeit products useless.

I hope this was helpful.

This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.