Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus Touch Screen Failure Due to Sweat Used Just Like iPhone 4

Is the iPhone 6 Plus super sensitive to water and sweat on the surface of the phone? I just had mine die, from what I thought was normal use since I subjected my iPhone 4 to the same level of use for years. I would tuck in in the side or back of my gym shorts while I road my bike trainer or worked out. It got a little sweaty and I would wipe it dry. Is this an issue with the design or a manufacturing defect? Or just a device that is not as good and robust as the iPhone 4?

I am very disappointed in Apple. I would expect they would make a better product or one with at least the same level of durability. Or was this phone just a manufacturing defect? The Apple Store here in Shenzhen China made me pay for a replacement since they say it is water damage. I never dropped it in any water, it just got a little sweaty on the outside. I remember getting my iPhone 4 very wet with rain and never a problem. I don't think you can do this with the iPhone 6+.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 7:03 AM

16 replies

Jul 6, 2017 8:12 PM in response to Fremd

I got my iPhone a year and 2 mounts ago and once my warranty was up my iPhone 7 plus breaks. Apple claims it broke because of water but no all it was, was sweat nothing else. But wait the iPhone 7 is IP 67 rated isn't it? My phone has never been in water just a little sweat. And broken now I have to buy a new phone because apple can't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jul 7, 2017 6:18 AM in response to CollinSchmierer

CollinSchmierer wrote:

I got my iPhone a year and 2 mounts ago and once my warranty was up my iPhone 7 plus breaks. Apple claims it broke because of water but no all it was, was sweat nothing else. But wait the iPhone 7 is IP 67 rated isn't it? My phone has never been in water just a little sweat. And broken now I have to buy a new phone because apple can't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sweat, which is mostly water, is actually worse than plain water. It contains things like salts which are even worse for electronics than plain water.

Feb 9, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Fremd

Fremd wrote:

Is the iPhone 6 Plus super sensitive to water and sweat on the surface of the phone? I just had mine die, from what I thought was normal use since I subjected my iPhone 4 to the same level of use for years. I would tuck in in the side or back of my gym shorts while I road my bike trainer or worked out. It got a little sweaty and I would wipe it dry. Is this an issue with the design or a manufacturing defect? Or just a device that is not as good and robust as the iPhone 4?

I am very disappointed in Apple. I would expect they would make a better product or one with at least the same level of durability. Or was this phone just a manufacturing defect? The Apple Store here in Shenzhen China made me pay for a replacement since they say it is water damage. I never dropped it in any water, it just got a little sweaty on the outside. I remember getting my iPhone 4 very wet with rain and never a problem. I don't think you can do this with the iPhone 6+.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

The iPhone 6 Plus is not any more susceptible to moisture than previous iPhones.

Are these pictures of your iPhone? If so, who opened it up? Was it ever opened up prior to you having this 'sweat/moisture' issue?

Feb 9, 2015 9:55 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

If that is the case then this defect is a manufacturing issue. This iPhone was opened up at the Apple Store in Shenzhen China and they took the pictures and provided me a copy. The iPhone 6+ was subjected to the same treatment as my iPhone 4. Basically just sweat on the outside surface of the phone, I never thought the phone would leak so easily as my iPhone 4 was very reliable.

How can I escalate this issue back inside of Apple. I would like for someone to get this phone and perform failure analysis. I would also like to get a refund if this is proven to be a manufacturing issue and not a "use" issue. I can't believe these phones should be so easily damaged.

Feb 9, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Fremd

Fremd wrote:

If that is the case then this defect is a manufacturing issue. This iPhone was opened up at the Apple Store in Shenzhen China and they took the pictures and provided me a copy. The iPhone 6+ was subjected to the same treatment as my iPhone 4. Basically just sweat on the outside surface of the phone, I never thought the phone would leak so easily as my iPhone 4 was very reliable.

How can I escalate this issue back inside of Apple. I would like for someone to get this phone and perform failure analysis. I would also like to get a refund if this is proven to be a manufacturing issue and not a "use" issue. I can't believe these phones should be so easily damaged.

You've stated that you've gotten a replacement unit from Apple. You paid the out-of-warranty fee because liquid damage is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

If your original device was defective, the the Apple Store would have noted that and not charged you a fee. If Apple has possession of the original device now, then they will complete an internal diagnostic, as they deem fit.

You'll have to ask the store about any further followup. However, usually once you've accepted the replacement unit, the original unit is fully the property of Apple and you are not entitled to any further information about the device.

Feb 9, 2015 5:45 PM in response to deggie

This is Engineer to Engineer. I work as a Manufacturing and Failure Analysis Engineer in Electronics. If I was allowed I would figure out what happened or at least get it into the hands of an Apple FA Engineer to determine rootcause. Right now I would say the new iPhones are not as good and have moisture susceptibility. But this may be just one bad unit! And if that is the case then it is manufacturing defect that should be covered under warranty. I will send a letter to Tim Cook at Corporate making my claim. I am sure it is not just one unit and they will see more of these types of defects coming back, it is likely some percentage of bad units coming off the line. In the future I will never buy such an expensive phone that is not IP67 water proof rated! Lessons Learned!

Jun 9, 2015 7:21 PM in response to Fremd

Did you ever get any resolution on this issue from Apple? I have a brand new iPhone6+. I took it on a single run and the phone died. Apple Store said the same thing, that water damage wasn't covered. However since the "water damage" occurred under normal expected use, I suspect a manufacturing defect or design flaw. I used my iPhone 4 and 4S regularly while running and never had any issues. I did not receive the replacement phone from Apple, and have opted to hang on to the phone and try to resolve this with Apple. Please let me know how your experience turned out.

Sep 23, 2015 1:06 PM in response to TheAaronious

Seriously! The iphone 6 is the worst. Only a few drops of water is enough to put the phone to death. It's rather disappointing that apple cannot make a phone that is water resistant in this day and age of water resistant phones. I get water on my iphone 5 all the time, but the one time my sister gets water on her newly purchased 6, It stops working! Apple wont replace it because water damage isn't covered. She has to pay 299 for replacement. Very disappointing. I hope they fix this with their next phone!

Oct 1, 2015 5:29 PM in response to joys2apple

Same thing happened to me. My iPhone 4 NEVER had an issue with running but my iPhone6 failed after 2 months. The store in Chandler AZ tried to get me to buy a new for 300 bucks and I told them I would ban all of my employees (I own a small SW company) from ever buying anything from Apple if they didn't do better. They offered me Apple Care plus $79. I was ******, but after reading this I am even more upset.

To add insult to injury, you find this thread when you Google it, but searching the Apple website using the same terms or a variety of similar ones produces NOTHING.

Apple *****.

Oct 1, 2015 6:10 PM in response to deggie

Deggie:

Really? I did paid $179 for my new phone, but tell me, why am I being unreasonable? As for working for me, you don't have that option, but I can tell you my employees are quite happy: we contribute 20 percent of their pay to a their retirement account, pay 100 percent medical, and offer unlimited time off. What does your employer do?

I will switch to Android the next time I need a phone. I am sure Apple is aware of the issue but chooses not to acknowledge it. Sounds like you either work for Apple or are drunk on the Kool Aid.

Oct 1, 2015 6:58 PM in response to NotAHugeFan

You paid $179 USD? Or did you pay $99 for AppleCare Plus and then $79 to replace the phone? And what type of case did you have the phone in, was it water resistant? Did you at least have the headphone jack and Lightning port plugged? (That is what I do). And my employer did just about the same (I'm retired) but they never threatened to ban me for the type of small electronics I purchased.

Which Android? If you switch I would suggest you get the Samsung model that is designed to be water resistant. It costs a bit more but sounds like it would be worth it to you. I am also assuming that security is not really a big concern to you.

And no on both points.

iPhone 6 Plus Touch Screen Failure Due to Sweat Used Just Like iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.