Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri stopped working. Any solution?

My iPhone 6's Siri and all voice-to-text related functions stopped working. Phone acts as if the microphone is not working, but it clearly does with voice memos and phone calls. Lots of posts about this all over the net and several rec'd solutions. Seems like they don't work for 90% of users experiencing this problem. Resetting network settings, turning Siri on & off, power down power on, etc -- none of these work. Does anybody know if there is a fix for this? Is Apple aware of this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 8:32 AM

Do a reset hold down the home/sleep button together until you see the apple logo and then release, then wait for the phone to boot back up.

also make sure Siri is turn on.

10 replies

Feb 9, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Sickofusernames1

@Sickofusernames1

• This feature only works when your iPhone or iPad is connected to a power source. So make sure that your device is connected to power.
  • Make sure that Hey Siri is enabled. Simple tap Settings > General > Siri > Allow “Hey Siri”.
  • Make sure Siri have access to work in the lock screen. Simply tap Settings > Touch ID / Passcode.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn Siri off and back on again (Settings > General > Siri)
  • Turn Allow “Hey Siri” off and back on again (Settings > General > Siri > Allow “Hey Siri”)
  • Make sure that your device’s microphone is free from obstructions so Siri can clearly hear you.

Feb 9, 2015 9:47 AM in response to wilkie.joissaint

This feature only works when your iPhone or iPad is connected to a power source. So make sure that your device is connected to power.

==> Not true. This would completely defeat the purpose of the feature. It worked without power before. It is supposed to work "mobile"! Anyway, I tried that and it doesn't fix it.

• Make sure that Hey Siri is enabled. Simple tap Settings > General > Siri > Allow “Hey Siri”.
  • Make sure Siri have access to work in the lock screen. Simply tap Settings > Touch ID / Passcode.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn Siri off and back on again (Settings > General > Siri)
  • Turn Allow “Hey Siri” off and back on again (Settings > General > Siri > Allow “Hey Siri”)
  • Make sure that your device’s microphone is free from obstructions so Siri can clearly hear you.

==> I saw this exact string of bullets posted on another forum. Tried it and it doesn't work. Thanks, though.

I just stepped through a complete factory reset and restore with the Verizon rep. Didn't work. Her solution was to give me a refurbished phone. Mine is brand new so I'm not ready to accept that yet.

Feb 12, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Sickofusernames1

Update: did a complete erase and factory reset... twice. It started working again, but quick degraded back to not functioning at all. Here are the details...

First, Verizon support rep stepped me through factory reset and restore from iTunes -- didn't work at all. Verizon's solution: replace my phone with a refurbished model. No way. Mine is brand new. That was unacceptable to me at this time. Maybe later.

Second, I tried a factory reset, but didn't restore -- left it at factory version (8.1 I recall). Went through the new iphone steps, turned wifi and Siri on and... voice control and Siri sorta worked again. It was flaky -- like only 3 out of 4 words, but it sorta worked. I kept playing with it and eventually it started working 100%. Then I did the full restore including update to 8.1.3 expecting it to stop working... but it kept working. Awesome. But it gradually started missing words and then stopped working altogether again. I got maybe 3 text messages and 2 Siri "find location X" map requests in before it started going flaky. Now it's back to as if my microphone isn't working.

I'm not alone here. I see this posted on multiple forums. Yet, the Verizon rep couldn't find any record of it ever happening. I don't see any acknowledgement from Apple that this is an issue. Can anybody shed some insight here? Anything I can try next? Go to the Verizon store? Apple store? A different forum?

Thanks and I apologize for the tone of my responses. This is pretty frustrating. Voice to text was one of the big reasons I upgraded to the 6.

Feb 14, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Sickofusernames1

siri ans voice text stop working handsfree. Only work when using Hearphones or Bluetooth headphones. Many topics on Apple discussinos about IT.

APple le does not know how to fix IT.

TRy reboot maintening home button and sleep button ( right side) at thé same time. Apple appears and wait a few minutes for reboot.

WOrked for me one Time.

BUt ut please keep posting on subject to compell apple into fixing it

Feb 20, 2015 12:42 AM in response to Sickofusernames1

My phone was changed for this reason and 6 days later I had the same problem with the 2nd Iphone. Yesterday I was at the apple store and they had no idea. The only thing they told me it's that it's my fault, maybe realted to me back up (I restored like a new iphone) and they told me my iphone would not be change again because of the same problem!!!!! This is so frustating, I spend 800 euros into an Iphone, it doesn't work correctly and it's my fault!

Mar 1, 2015 4:25 PM in response to Sickofusernames1

Still not working for me and getting tempted to take it back and do the refurbished phone replacement. I've been reading a ton of posts from iPhone 6 users with the same problem. Seems like ~half of them find a fix that works... like resetting network settings, hard reset, soft reset, etc. But half still have an iPhone 6 that doesn't work as promised. I read about another potential fix that apparently worked for at least one person, but didn't work for me. It was turning off the settings -> general -> accessibility -> noise cancellation feature. No luck. Siri does work with my apple provided earbuds, however.

Siri stopped working. Any solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.