Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error when trying to start from install disk OS X 10.4

Hi,

I have an iBook G4 with the 1.42 GHz model, 60 GB, 512 RAM. I am running OSX 10.4.11. I would like to get it to run better. I installed TenFourFox as my new browser, that seemed to help, but it's still pretty slow. So then I freed up some more space on the hard drive. Then I started it up in Safe Mode, then I ran the disk utility and repaired the disk permissions. I ran the disk verify and found errors, and I then ran fsck - y at the command line. That seemed to get rid of the errors, but I am thinking I should format the hard drive and do a clean install.

Will doing a clean install help the computer run better/ faster? How can I do it? I am running into errors...

I lost the install disks, but luckily a friend of mine had a copy.

I insert the disk, power down, and restart.

I get the a really long error message, below are snippets:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002E0BF4): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook6,7"

Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:

Backtrace 0x00099EA4 0x0009A860 0x00027A28 0x002E)B4.....

No debugger configured - dumping debug information...

panic: We are hanging here.

Is there something wrong with my computer? Or are the install disks not compatible? Maybe they were install disks for a powerbook and not an iBook (not sure if that matters).

I am also considering installing RAM. Will that help a lot with the speed (i.e. 50% faster?) or just a little?

Thanks a lot for any input!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 11:27 AM

3 replies

Feb 9, 2015 1:09 PM in response to chochowah

Wrong install Disc, that one is machine specific, & doubtful a reinstall will help all that much.

More RAM will likely help, but not awfully likely it'll be 50%.

To tell, ehen it gets slow, Open Activity Monitor, Show:>All Processes, sort on CPU%, see if anything using too much CPU% when this happens, click on Memory tab, do you have many Pageouts?

User uploaded file

Error when trying to start from install disk OS X 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.