Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recent calls -- can't delete by swiping (after 2 or 3)

Sometimes on my iPhone 6 with iOS 8.X (since 8.1), when I swipe left to delete recent calls I no longer need to see, after swiping and deleting 2 or 3 calls, I can no longer swipe. Only after I select another icon at the bottom of the screen will that option to swipe come back. And then, it will still only work 2 or 3 times before stopping.

The only other way to delete the recent calls is by using the Edit button at the top right of the screen, and that takes an extra step for each call.

I feel that the swipe left-to-delete should work as many times as there are recent calls on the list.

Has anyone else had this problem? This should be a fairly easy fix in the next iOS update.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1, iPad 2, iOS 8.1.X

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2017 8:23 AM

It's March 2017 and it's still not working in iOS 10.3.1

It was better (meaning happened less often) in the meantime with 10.2, however it wasn't absent or fixed.

10.3.1 is a lot worse again.

It has nothing to do with the phone model. When it started I had an iPhone 4, switched to a 5s, then to a 4s and I also have it on the SE. No difference at all.

Best workaround is a switch between "All" and "Missed".

Incredibly annoying bug that seems to be completely under the radar...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2017 8:23 AM in response to CarlosP9999

It's March 2017 and it's still not working in iOS 10.3.1

It was better (meaning happened less often) in the meantime with 10.2, however it wasn't absent or fixed.

10.3.1 is a lot worse again.

It has nothing to do with the phone model. When it started I had an iPhone 4, switched to a 5s, then to a 4s and I also have it on the SE. No difference at all.

Best workaround is a switch between "All" and "Missed".

Incredibly annoying bug that seems to be completely under the radar...

Feb 11, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Tspecht

Hi Tspecht,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that when you swipe to delete recent calls, you can only delete two or three calls at a time. To troubleshoot this situation, I would first recommend closing the Phone application as described in the first attached article.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

After the application has been closed, I would next recommend performing a reset on your iPhone.

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After your iPhone has been reset, open your Phone application again and try to delete calls from your history as you would normally do. Please let me know if the issue continues.

Best regards,

Joe

Apr 9, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Tspecht

Tim,

I have the same issue you have - I don't think most users really notice it bc most people just don't delete one by one.

I've had it since start of iOS 8, but so that you know, the issues exists beyond the Recent Calls screen. It also exists on any kind of 'list-like' screen where the swipe from right to left deletes (except on emails - because emails delete in one swoop operation [if you have it setup to not confirm deletions as I do]). Most specifically, I dealt with that issue over and over when deleting the myriad of duplicate keyboard shortcuts that had been created under the iOS 8 environment [that's completely separate issue where many of my shortcuts would show duplicated and I would delete them over and over and they would re-appear after a few days or after restarting the phone].

Anywho, yes, after you swipe a few times the delete stops working and instead, the swipe acts as a 'selection or click' action - so in the recent's call tab, it would actually cause you to dial the number; in the shortcuts tab, it would cause the selection of that shortcut for edit.

I did find a little trick to get around it: the thing is that the screen needs to 'scroll' in order for the swipe to delete feature to not become disabled. Thus, instead of trying to deleting one entry after the next, I would do a 'small manual scroll up and down' on the screen before doing the next delete - sounds silly, but when you need to delete about 100 shortcuts, you have to find workarounds, lol.

Anywho, I just checked that the new update to 8.3 did NOT fix this swipe to delete issue and the only reason I felt compelled to post about it is because with 8.3, Apple seemed to finally start to fix the myriad of issues out there, so I figured, maybe if I report this one, it might get fixed in the near future.

Regarding shortcuts problem I just mentioned, I gave up and created a new apple id and used an app to edit the shortcuts file from my PC iPhone backup and restored the edited file to the phone - problem solved (after many iterations). iOS 8.3 says that it fixed issues with shortcuts, but it does not specify what, plus it's too late for me now.

Good luck to us all to see when Apple decides to fix this swipe to delete issue.

Carlos..

iPhone 6+ on iOS 8.3

Recent calls -- can't delete by swiping (after 2 or 3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.