Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iweb (Navigation Bar question and index.html question)

iweb - I had a good up and running site. Now the Navigation bar has disappeared (It is on my desktop - but there is just a DOT) on line - and of course, without a Navigation Bar - it is useless. There must be a simple fix. I have double checked links, etc. ANY suggestions??

I use Filezilla and my site is hosted on GoDaddy. Starting last night - my page is blank with a 404 error message. I have always had an index.html page in folder last night the GoDaddy support person redirected the file as all I am getting is the 404 error. What happened? Any explanation - as now that I updated my pages again, I can't open again. Will have to try to find a tech with some knowledge - but until I can rebuild my site (which is very involved) - would like to see it up and running during the process.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would help. Thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 12:12 PM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2015 4:10 AM in response to puggleglamb

If your navigation bar is showing up as a dot, then this normally means that all the files have not been uploaded correctly - check the scripts folder when you publish iWeb to your local folder.

Also, you should try a different ftp application - FileZilla sometimes does not work optimally and does not always upload everything - I had problems using it so ditched it. Try using Cyberduck, Transmit or Yummy ftp instead and hopefully everything will be uploaded.

iWeb creates two index.html files - one sits inside the folder and the other one sits outside the folder and points in towards the front page of your site. This will happen if you are upload your whole site folder to your server, so that your sitename is included in your domain name?

If you are uploading your site the other way - then you only need one index.html file. In the past, some people complained about having the site name in their url, so the other way to upload, is to just upload the contents of your iWeb folder and NOT the whole folder itself and then you only need one index file, rather than the normal two, but if you are uploading your whole folder, then you will have an index file inside the folder and another index file pointing in towards the index folder is the site folder. Both the files should be named index and not changed or modified in any way at all.

Also, when you decide to re-build your site, don't use iWeb, because it is an unsupported application and has not been sold or supported by Apple for at least 2 to 3 years.

Take a look at RapidWeaver, Sandvox, Freeway Pro/Express 7, WebAcappella 4, Flux V and EverWeb, which is probably the best and most like iWeb out of all of them.

iweb (Navigation Bar question and index.html question)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.