Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folders deleted during Finder file copy/cancel

I attempted to copy an iPhoto library from a MacBook Air to my iMac over wifi, using the standard Mac OS Finder commands using home network disk sharing. The copy, which was to an external hard drive on the iMac, was taking a long time (~500MB file) and I eventually cancelled it.

I didn't discover until weeks later that numerous subfolders (containing many subfolders and files each) of the folder where I had tried to copy the library had disappeared from my external hard drive. I believe some sort of corruption occurred on the disk volume during or because of the copy that didn't succeed.

I've tried running the standard Disk Utility "verify disk" process and it didn't report any errors. Interestingly, there are files that I can no longer see in the Finder, but Final Cut Pro X can still allow me to playback the original files, as they were linked to a FCP X library I was using. So something about the hard links in the FCP library allowed me to retain access to the files. However, iPhoto libraries that reference files in those lost folders will no longer allow me to open the original photos in iPhoto or the Finder. (I have configued iPhoto to not copy the files into the iPhoto library on import). Also, the space used by the lost folders doesn't seem to have been released back as free space on the disk volume.

So my question is, are there utilities anyone would recommend that might be able to re-scan the directory structure on the external drive and find those lost folders? Has anyone else hit this problem of having a directory get messed during a simple file copy?

Thanks.

(PS The fact that it was an iPhoto library I was trying to copy shouldn't have much bearing, besides the fact that that's a package structure. It was not replacing an existing library or folder of the same name.)

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Final Cut Pro X 10.1.3

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 2:35 PM

5 replies

Jun 1, 2015 10:42 PM in response to Eric Root

I guess this is an extremely rare issue because I can't seem to find many questions or posts about it. Anyway I've tried every single thing suggested when this phenomenon happens. I got the Files Copied/Moved over sound that the Finder plays when you transfer/copy files. But all I did was accidentally hit CMD + Z while in Finder (I thought I was working in Premiere). That's when the sound played.

Suddenly one of the folders I was working with in my Premiere project loses ALL of its files. About 40GB worth too, all still on my computer because that memory didn't go away or get deleted. Yet, I can't find it anywhere, using ANY find program. And it wasn't deleted/cleared. Weird. Now I can't even find it just to remove the dead memory space form my computer.

Apr 20, 2016 5:22 PM in response to jvolino

I'm going through something similar to what you described. I was trying to copy files from my macbook pro to mac pro over ethernet cable. Nearly 2TB of unrelated files were deleted from the receiving drive after I canceled the transfer. The stop transfer process was suspiciously hung up for a while.

Did you ever find any reason behind all this? Is it an issue with file transfer over network, or a hard drive problem?

Folders deleted during Finder file copy/cancel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.