Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari jumps around my tabs randomly

I usually have Safari with 2 windows and a total of 20 tabs open. Why does Safari jump randomly around my tabs? I can't believe I'm the only one to suffer this!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 8:09 PM

Might be a cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2015 8:09 PM in response to mypension

Might be a cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Feb 10, 2015 2:04 AM in response to mypension

Many thanks, Carolyn, for your quick response - it was driving me mad. You showed me a very quick test that lead to Extensions and ClicktoFlash as the culprit. I'm pleased to continue using AdBlock!

User uploaded file

ClickToFlash looked like a good idea to me; there's no update available at the moment. Do you know of another, safe way of achieving the same result?

Safari jumps around my tabs randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.