Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.1.0.71 not connecting to iPhone 4 or iPod Touch

Evening,

I am having problems connecting my iPhone 4 and iPod touch with iTunes. The software that I am using is as follows:

Operating System: Windows 8.1

iTunes version: 12.1.0.71

iPhone 4 Software: iOS 7.1.2

iPod Touch Software: 8.1.3

I have run the diagnostics from iTunes and iTunes seems to hang when it is testing the connection to my devices. But this also seems to be an intermitting problems because I can connect sometimes while other times it refuses to connect. Also, when every I connect my iPhone or iPod, both devices will display a window asking to "Trust this computer" and other times I will get a window stating that this device may not work with this application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 5:44 PM

5 replies

Feb 9, 2015 8:10 PM in response to Delvin4444

Have you tried to completely uninstall iTunes and then reboot the computer and reinstall the iTunes application and try again?

Here the relevant links in case you did not have them already:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Remove and Reinstall iTunes and other software components from Windows XP - Apple Support

(999)

Feb 10, 2015 6:28 PM in response to ManSinha

Mansinha,

Thank you for the reply. Just did what you had suggested and it was only partly successful. Now my iPhone 4 shows up but not my iPod touch. Also, Windows is seeing both devices as I can start Windows Explorer and navigate to both my iPhone and iPod.

From what I have seen posted on the forum, is this a common problem and will I have to uninstall/reinstall iTunes every time that Apple decides to update it or my iPhone (I know, unlikely) or my iPod iOS?

Any other possible work around would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Mansinha

//////////////

UPDATE

//////////////

Okay, now this is getting weird - my pc no longer sees my dvd-r and itunes says my iPhone is connected to my pc when it is not 😟

Windows Explorer shows my iPod is connected but not my iPhone --- Any Ideas????

Feb 17, 2015 6:26 PM in response to Delvin4444

Okay,

I seem to have solve this problem.

In order to get my iPod to connect with iTunes, I had to remove every bit of Apple's software (iTunes, Apple Push, ATH.exe (32 bit), ATH.exe (64 bit), Bonjour Service, disnoted (32 bit), iPodservice module (64 bit), iCloud and iTuneHelper), re-boot and re-install.

It seems to be a lot of trouble that all of those services have to be un-installed one at a time when one considers that they were installed at the same time (when iTunes is installed). 😟

Anyways, Thank you ManSinha for the help - it was really apprecited

Feb 17, 2015 9:44 PM in response to Delvin4444

Just putting this out on the web for those that encounter it, not necessarily the original poster as I'm sure solved by now. I have a new Dell running Windows 8.1 and iTunes update 12.1 got error 193 and would not install, I tried numerous methods listed here. The folder some said to delete did not exist. uninstalling and reinstalling did not work. Rebooting to an earlier restore point did not work. I cannot say what will work for others, but here is what DID work for ME: Do not browse to the Apple site and download iTunes in Google Chrome, instead use Microsoft Explorer. When I went that route a different pop up box appeared asking if i want to repair or uninstall. (Repair did not work), selecting uninstall Then downloading the 64bit version (which I need) fully and successfully installed- not just saying it did, but actually working. I opened it up and re-synced to my iPhone 4s. Viola! (Btw, the day prior when purchasing an album over 3G not wifi all my stored music mysteriously disappeared, which ironically is what caused me to update iTunes to 12.1 but maybe this is unrelated, but both problems solved now. once iTunes was running again, everything was still in the cloud not lost just downloading to phone.) Hope this helps.

iTunes 12.1.0.71 not connecting to iPhone 4 or iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.