Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari favourites display stays on screen after typing search

Got a strange problem with Safari on only one of the Macs in my household (iMac 2011, running Yosemite 10.10.2).

Whenever I click in the Address Bar, the favourites panel drops down. I start typing and the favourites panel is replaced by a list of result options, that dynamically updates as I type. However, when I've found a match and press return, the web page loads but the favourites panel is back, obscuring the web page. On another Mac in the house, I can see the correct behaviour - when you press return, the web page loads and the search/favourites panel disappears, leaving you with a clear view of the web page.

On the defective version, the only way I can get rid of it is to click somewhere on the web page, but it's incredibly annoying as I prefer to use the keyboard pretty much exclusively, as far as is possible.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 4GHz Intel i7, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 4:38 PM

1 reply

Feb 9, 2015 7:56 PM in response to m0thr4

Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Safari favourites display stays on screen after typing search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.