Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stop MainStage Playback and Metronome cutting off note tails?

Hi there

In MainStage, I am trying to figure out if I can start a Playback (MS plugin) audio file OR the Metronome without cutting of held notes, either from an MS instrument or an external.

Eg. There are moments where I start a song playing a keyboard, then want to start the backing track within this Patch, but the pressing Play within the Playback Plugin, cuts off all notes!

I've looked around on the internet and perused the manual but haven't been able to find the answer.

What has motivated me is Apple's statement regarding MainStage 3.0.2

"Starting Playback or Loopback no longer cuts off the tails of plug-ins that are already sounding."

Found here MainStage 3.1 Release Notes - Apple Support

I am running 3.1 which succeeded this version and I have to say I'm finding the contrary for this announcement.

Am I missing a setting or preference?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15" (mid 2012),2.7 GHz Core i7. Memory: 16GB.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

MainStage, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 12:00 AM

12 replies

Feb 10, 2015 5:50 AM in response to lifenoise

Thanks for the reply.

"Instantly silence previous patch" is unchecked in the patch settings.

In preferences I've tried the "Silence Previous Patch" at different lengths but I don't think this is relevant to the problem.

I want to be able to..

1) Play an instrument without the metronome or playback on

2) Then hold a chord

3) Then start/play the Playback/Metronome without it cutting those notes off.

This all should happen within the one patch.

Jul 6, 2015 2:36 AM in response to biznusbiznus

No Sir, no solutions, no word from Apple.

I can't understand why this problem persists when Apple announced in the 3.1 Release Notes:

"Starting Playback or Loopback no longer cuts off the tails of plug-ins that are already sounding."

Either Apple are lying, or we are missing something.

In the meanwhile, my only workaround is to go back to using Ableton Live, which is not as good managing complex patch setups.

Live lets you hold notes and start metronome, fine, but on the other hand it cuts off notes when you press "stop".

I can't bare it! :]

Mar 28, 2016 7:38 PM in response to tanpianoman

Yes, as I mentioned, this is a possible workaround, but is a terrible solution in many scenarios (eg. you have to wait for beat one to come around when you 'un-mute' the click/metronome).

A note to Apple and its developers: Stop lying about your updates and fix this problem. At least admit that you have NOT fixed this problem. I posted this a year ago. (And yes ,I have sent 'feedback', but you don't listen.)

Lies...

User uploaded file

Can I stop MainStage Playback and Metronome cutting off note tails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.