Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

err 3253 Network Connection was reset - Detailed description

I have iTunes 12.1.0.71. I am using Windows 7 on a PC. For the past 3 days I have tried re-downloading several items from iTunes Store. Apps, music, etc. While doing so, I am able to get a few but then all of the sudden I get the error 3253 - Your network connection was reset. As soon as I get the error, I can no longer get iTunes to download anything else for the rest of the night. Now... here comes the good part. As soon as midnight rolls around--poof! Everything starts working again.

First I thought it was my ISP but I talked with them for over an hour and they swear they do not block iTunes traffic for any reason. By the way my internet never goes down. I can browse the web, use Netflix, etc. all while iTunes doesn't download.

During my investigation, I found several reports of this error. Every work around attempt fails. I have tried the OpenDNS. It doesn't fix it. I've tried the Google DNS. I've tried turning off simultaneous downloads. NOTHING WORKS.

Now here is the BEST part. I run a diagnostics check in iTunes for Network Connectivity. It fails when I run it because it says iTunes is not enabled in my firewall.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

But guess what. IT IS enabled.

User uploaded file

Now, check this... As I said before, this has happened for 3 days straight. It stops working while I'm downloading things and then at midnight--poof, it starts working again. Well when it starts working... I still fail these tests! What good are the diagnostics if they don't even tell you correct information?

I need this fixed. I am an avid iTunes user. I love the product. But this is a huge let down! Apparently I'm not the only person who's had this either. Looks like this same error has been happening since 06 for various reason. I welcome options to try but don't tell me the same ones I have listed. Also, please don't say it's my ISP or that I have some sort of data cap or bandwidth limit or iTunes is being blocked by my ISP. I've checked and verified. None of these are true. It has to be on something else. Oh yeah... and my wife uses a Mac. The problem effects her too at the same time as me. Except she gets the 3259 error which is a network time out.

Alienware PC-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 9, 2015 9:55 PM

5 replies

Feb 11, 2015 11:02 AM in response to bryanfromdelphos

Hello bryanfromdelphos,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are receiving error 3253 while downloading from iTunes and have already tried a wide range of good troubleshooting steps. In this situation, if you have not done so already, I would suggest following the troubleshooting steps outlined in the attached article.

iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting - Apple Support

"Error 3000" through "3999"

Alerts with codes in the 3000 range generally mean that iTunes cannot contact the gs.apple.com server on ports 80 or 443. This may be because out-of-date or incorrectly configured security or firewall software is interfering, or due to your Internet proxy settings. If you are using a proxy, try removing the proxy settings, or using a known-good network. If that does not resolve the issue, follow iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues.

Have a great day,

Joe

Feb 11, 2015 3:17 PM in response to AppleJoe

Thanks joe, but truly meant what I said in my original post. I have literally tried each and every option listed in this discussion board. Nothing makes a difference. I start to download content (anything... apps, music, etc.). I get a couple downloaded and then it stops working--sometimes in the middle of a download. It then continues to NOT work--throwing errors anytime I try something--until midnight rolls around and then "poof" it starts working again. Now I admittedly I haven't tried to stay awake for 24 hours to test between the hours of 4 AM and noon, but I have to assume the same thing will happen. My ISP swears they are not blocking anything and I have to believe them since I can use Netflix which uses a lot more bandwidth with as much as we watch.

Other ideas?

Feb 11, 2015 7:11 PM in response to bryanfromdelphos

So is it some sort of secret about what the firewall settings should look like EXACTLY for windows 7 with iTunes installed? If not, can someone post a screenshot of the windows 7 firewall settings with iTunes services highlighted? By the way, I looked in my application log in event viewer for Windows 7 and I'm seeing TONS of errors for Bonjour Service that correspond to when these problems started occurring. Could that be my problem? Could this be why iTunes downloads work for a few minutes and then fail and then continue to fail until midnight rolls around?

err 3253 Network Connection was reset - Detailed description

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.