Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UPS for 27inch mid-2011 imac

Hi, I know this questions had been asked several times already. But after searching the net, and reading all things I can about UPS for imac I've become uncertain on what UPS to get.😕

I have a BTO imac with 3.4ghz i7, and the 2gb Radeon HD 6970M

1. I want to know the full capacity power wattage, as I can't seem to grasp the concept of

200 watt from this link iMac: Power consumption and thermal output (BTU) information - Apple Support (I need assurance, I find it hard to believe this somewhat high performing desktop only consume 200watt running it full potential) I need to count what UPS capacity I have to get.😝

2. Is the sinewave important or not? I've been reading lots of forum post, articles, and arguments both local and in english that contradict eachother.

3. Which come to my third question, I have narrow down my choices on these similarly priced UPS http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMC1000 I&total_watts=600&tab=models(sinewave) and http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1200G I

(not sinewave but higher surge protection rating)

4. Which then followed by my last question, because of the last blackout killed one of my ram module, I think I really need a surge protection and a UPS, and I understand both models I chose have several rating on surge protection, what do you guys think on the difference? or would I be better with a dedicated surge protection?

I really want to just get the one listed on apple store because I believe it will be hassle free for me and I won't need to ask hella lots of questions here, but I can't find anybody selling it in my country.

If you have other UPS suggestion feel free to post, I'll try to look up if it sold in my country.

Thank you in advance 🙂

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 27" 2011, i7 3.4Ghz, HD 6970 2Gb

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 4:20 AM

18 replies

Feb 10, 2015 8:50 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Is that an old model that might be discontinued? Or could you post a link for me, I have difficulties finding that exact model.

On the other hand,

I might over thinking this...

I have a few reasons on why I overthinking this matter.

today's imac are too expensive for me and I'm not sure if I'd be able to afford one if god forbid my current imac breakdown due to one of many reasons, electric instability. Which somehow lately happens alot, and apple service center in my country *****, I prefer not to deal with them if I could, so I prefer to worry than sorry.

So, to put it simply.

What would be the minimum ups capacity for me to be able to gracely shut down my imac during outage?

Does sinewave really matter?

and would 200-300 joule surge protection would be enough for electric instability? (I think I don't need something lightning proof, my house are properly grounded incase of lightning struck. But I might be wrong... Or am I over thinking this...)

Jul 15, 2015 11:35 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for that lightning fast response!

I'm wondering if I need anything more than the APC BE350G Back-UPS 350VA 6-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) because the only peripheral I have is a Dymo Label printer which is connected to a surge suppressor. And my iMac is out of warranty and 4 years old.

Will the BE350G be sufficient, please?

Jul 23, 2015 9:08 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi! I just connected my APC BE750G Back-UPS 750VA 10-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). I'm relieved to have a backup power supply again.

I'm configuring the UPS in the "energy saver" settings.

Since we're discussing the same model iMac 27" mid-2011, what are the optimal shutdown settings for it, please? I run a website and do extensive spreadsheet updates, etc, if that will have any bearing on your suggestions.

Thanks!

UPS for 27inch mid-2011 imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.