Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Yosemite resolved Apple's SMB issues?

Hey everyone, as someone who used Snow Leopard Server with great success for years and then recently adopted Mavericks Server when my company needed to migrate away from Windows, I have been extremely disappointed with Apple's **** poor iteration of SMB. Since its introduction, we have had thousands of Office files locked to the infamous "read-only" status, that only deleting temp files or rebooting solves. As a result, I've spent a few months looking at modifications or any options to help; much of that time was spent researching and trying to get hold of the developer for SMBup (who after four non-responded emails and several posts here, I've given up on). Thus far, nothing really helps and the one that was close (SMBup) has ridiculous limitations on the number of groups a user can be in and the fact that they have to be local accounts (which negates the entire 'Services Only' model I purposely put in place); we don't have the most complex permissions in the world but there are at least three Server-made groups that each user belongs to.

So now that the recap is done, I'm almost at my wits end and before we migrate back to a Windows-based server, or a Linux box at this point, I wanted to see what everyone's experience with Yosemite Server's iteration of SMB is like. Are there still the same problems with Apple's new iteration of SMB (as in SMB not properly recognizing extra attributes, file-locking, and ownership not retaining)? If so, for those that have used Lion to Maverick Server, are things any better or is it pretty much still the same?

Thank you everyone for your time and consideration, I greatly appreciate any feedback that can be offered and while I love my Macs, I have been greatly disappointed with Mavericks server and am hoping that Yosemite can provide some improvement.

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 5:43 AM

5 replies

Feb 23, 2015 5:30 AM in response to Outsider

Anyone have an answer at all? I've attempted to search for this very question but unfortunately Apple's search engine on their boards is horrendous, so I apologize if this has been asked numerous times but I have not found an answer to point me in the right direction. I've been waiting to hear a response from the completely non-responsive developer of SMBup for over a month now and my business can't keep waiting for a workaround if a better solution is available now.

Feb 23, 2015 11:41 AM in response to Outsider

FileMaker uses its own protocols for database hosting. I am not sure which protocol is used for file transfer to the FileMaker Server.

My points were about general SMB file sharing to a hosted share point. I only mention FileMaker so that people can see the systems I am using currently: Yosemite with Apple Server and Mavericks without Apple Server but with FileMaker Server. As you probably know the Apple Server based file sharing is a bit more flexible with GUI set up. The client version required by FileMaker is less easy to use for file sharing.

We have to share small, 10MB and less, files with both machines on a regular basis and had trouble with SMB in both cases. Few of the specifics about what was actually going on come to mind because I did not notate them. SMB was faster than AFP but not enough that I was willing to put up with connection and transaction issues on a regular basis. We had trouble on both machines with not respecting ACLs, copying more than one file at a time, -36 errors on every file copy, flatly refusing to copy, and probably others.

Has Yosemite resolved Apple's SMB issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.