Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install the second OS (either 10.4 or 10.5) in powerbook G4

I have a powerbook G4 A1106. I just replaced its old 80GB HD with a new 320GB HD. I want to install both 10.4 or 10.5 in it. So I bought both 10.4 or 10.5 install disk (full retail version) from eBay. In my first try of installation, I used the 10.4 disk to partition the new HD into 2 diskes (A & B, 160GB each) and then successfully installed 10.4 into disk A. But the installer didn't see any destination disk after I started the installation of 10.5 (although I can see both disk A & B on the desktop of 10.4). So then I reverse the order of installation. First, I used 10.5 disk to erase the HD and to partition it into A & B, and then successfully installed 10.5 into disk A. Then I got into the same problem as before when I tried to install 10.4 into disk B: the installer didn't see any destination disk.

Does anyone know how to make the second installation work? Thank you so much!!!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 10:11 AM

Hmmmm, this is very strange, it should just work!???

I assume the Drive is Formatted APM, & both Partitions are HFS+/Mac OS X Extended Journaled?

5 replies

Feb 12, 2015 8:46 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, both BDAqua and rccharles.

I did some digging. rccharles is right. my G4 controller for ATA has a limit of 128GB HD.

But strangely, I am now able to install both OS (one in each 160 GB partition), even I keep the full capacity of the HD. What I did was to boot the installation of second OS from the install disk. Then the installer of the second OS will see both partitions.

But this installation create another issue: When I use Startup Disk (System Preference) to change the bootup disk (from 10.4 to 10.5 or vice versa), the computer can't do it automatically: a folder with “?” will show up and then I need to manually turn off and on the computer to get it boot from the next disk. So I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to make the switching automatic without the need of turning off and on the computer?

2. It seems now all the programs runs normally. But is it actually safe to use this computer? I mean will it keep all my data/files and compute normally? Or does it have hidden malfunctions?

Thanks again.

Feb 12, 2015 9:01 AM in response to wmlee55

1. Might be time to replace the PRAM Battery, 4 years is close to their lifespan, far less if ever without AC power, & can cause strange startup problems...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/BAA36VPRAM/

Try holding alt or option key at startup to choose boot drive.

2. If your G4 does have the 128 GB limit, then data will be lost when the OS tries to write past that limit.

3. http://www.speedtools2.com/ATA6.html

Cannot install the second OS (either 10.4 or 10.5) in powerbook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.