Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Handbrake Encoded Home Movies Will Not Sync to iDevices

Hello,

I have many home movies, free of DRM, from over the years on DVDs. I used Handbrake to encode them. I used both the iPhone preset and the Universal preset, both of which I'm told import fine for people.

I imported them into my iTunes library and can play all the home movies fine on my iTunes and also they stream seamlessly on my Apple TV.

However, when I try and sync them to my iPads or my iPhones, they all error saying the same thing. iTunes could not sync 1 or more items. None of the Handbrake videos will transfer. All my digital copy movies and my iTunes purchased flicks go fine.

I've reinstalled iTunes completely, deleted all Apple components etc... I've rebuilt my library fully... still nothing. Same error.

Any suggestions.

I have Windows 8.1 (also didn't work before my upgrade from 8.0), iPad 2, iPad 3, and 2 iPhone 6's. Same errors on all.

Thank you!

Rob

Windows 8

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 10:08 AM

10 replies

Feb 10, 2015 10:35 AM in response to dilbert41

Thank you for the fast response:-)

So I've read that article. All of the conversions I've done are in compatible formats per the specifications for my devices. Matter of fact, if I try and "create new version" of the video .... iTunes tells me the file is "already in a compatible format". Yet it still won't transfer during a sync.

Further ideas?

Feb 10, 2015 10:48 AM in response to dilbert41

Excellent point then! I have indeed reclassified them so that all, both home movies and regular ones appear together on my Apple TV menu.

I will reclassify one back to Home Movies and see if that solves it and report back to you.

I wonder why they did this? One of the movies is a movie we made that I like to treat as a real movie and I really would prefer that to be in the Films section. The rest I don't really care about ... but seems like a silly distinction. Why not let the users organize their library as they see fit I wonder?

Thanks again, I'll check back soon.

Feb 10, 2015 12:04 PM in response to NCRobino

What video content works with iTunes and mobile devices?

iTunes:

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.
  • Video podcasts.
  • iTunes Digital Copies.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

Mobile Devices:

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • Videos that have been shared to iTunes using QuickTime Player (Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard).
  • Videos that have been re-encoded for iPod with QuickTime 7 Pro.
  • Videos that have been re-encoded for iPod with iMovie, Final Cut Pro, and others. Refer to Exporting a movie from iMovie HD to iPod for an iMovie HD tutorial.
  • Video Podcasts that have been created for mobile devices.
  • Video files after using the iTunes File > Create New Version > Create iPod or iPhone version option.
  • Video files after using the iTunes File > Create New Version > Create iPad or AppleTV version option (iPad and AppleTV only).
  • See below for detailed movie specifications.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

How does purchased video differ from other video?

Videos purchased from the iTunes Store have FairPlay digital rights management embedded in the files and are in a format that can be readily synced to a video-capable mobile device. Just like with music you purchase from the iTunes Store, you own the videos you purchase. You can authorize up to five computers to play purchased videos, and you can sync the video to as many mobile devices as you like. A single device can contain purchased content from up to five accounts; iTunes will not allow you to add data from a sixth account.

Feb 10, 2015 12:15 PM in response to NCRobino

Ok, sorry for the seperate notes... but the audio is not the problem. I got some other of the files to transfer somehow, just suddenly worked. This can't read the file is occuring for a handful of audio files too.

So the home video thing was the main problem, looking like this random can't read the file thing is a different issue?

Handbrake Encoded Home Movies Will Not Sync to iDevices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.