Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound on audio file

I am trying to bring in a .mp3 audio recording that I made but it will not play sound even though it is showing the waveforms. I can bring in other .mp3 music into the same movie and timeline and hear sound just fine. I've restarted iMovie and my Mac and it made no difference. I've tried importing the .mp3 file into the movie and I tried bringing it in from iTunes within iMovie and no sound either way when I bring it into the timeline. If I go to iTunes within iMovie to preview it, there is sound in the preview section but as soon as I drop it into the timeline, the audio disappears. Any ideas?

iMovie 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), .mp3 file

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 7:09 PM

4 replies

Mar 3, 2015 9:30 PM in response to mmlosey

I found a solution to my problem in case anyone stumbles upon this and finds themselves with the same issue. When I have the audio file selected in iTunes, there is an option available when I right click on the song to "Create AAC version". This creates a duplicate of my audio file in an .m4a format instead of .mp3 format. When I pull this new .m4a file into iMovie from iTunes, I had no issues hearing the sound or cutting or manipulating the file.

No sound on audio file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.