Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Can't access any files in a folder to attach to email

This is such a random question and I'm sure it's just a matter of clicking the right button but I'm stumped.

When I am composing an email and I want to attach a document / file, etc. I click the folder to that the file is in. Previously it would give me a list of all the files in that folder and I could choose the file I wanted to attach. Now when I click the folder, it's attaching the entire folder to the email and I'm not able to see the files listed!

I can, of course view the folder contents when I am not composing /trying to attach something to an email. But...what am I doing wrong?

am running OS X Yosemite, -- recently downloaded this new OS but can't figure out if this problem came along with the new OS or if it's even newer than that.

Thanks so much,

Lori

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 7:28 PM

5 replies

Feb 11, 2015 1:33 PM in response to lbberman

Hi,

I'm not quite sure how to do that...I did open the folder in the Finder but then when I went to open Mail, I couldn't figure out how to drag it over.

I'm confused b/c I've never had this problem. In the past I've been able to click on a folder and it would show me the contents of the folder and I could choose the file I wanted. Now I have to move the file to my desktop -- then I am able to access and attach it. I'm guessing I've got something set incorrectly somehow. But again.....not sure what.

Feb 11, 2015 2:49 PM in response to lbberman

First try this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & clear caches.)

You need a compose window open to drag the file's icon to, but in Finder do a Get Info on the folder, what rights does it show?

Help! Can't access any files in a folder to attach to email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.