Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Include selected text" option not working since last Yosemite update

I just noticed that I am unable to include just the selected text in either a reply or forward to an email. This seems to have happened after the Yosemite 10.10.2 update. I have the correct settings in preferences (see screenshot below). However, the option doesn't work, and all replies and forwards include the entire message text regardless of what is selected. When I reboot the Mail app, it reverts to the other option (Include all of the original message text). Anyone seen this? How can I fix it?

TIA,

Todd

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 1:21 PM

Replying or Forwarding with selected text had been working fine in Yosemite 10.10.2 Mail on my MB Pro until I read tluger's post. I then experimented by changing my preference from “include selected” to “include all” and then back again. Now I cannot reply or forward with selected text using the “include selected” preference option (it always includes all the text). If I choose the “include selected” option, then Mail or the OS will set it back to “include all” when I quit-restart Mail or log out as noted by tluger. I tried that several times and it always reset the preference option back to “include all”. However, I discovered that if you select text, hold down the Option key, and click Reply or Forward, you get the result you would expect with the preference option “include selected”. I don't know if this circumvention will work for everyone but it does work for me.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2015 1:21 PM in response to tluger

Replying or Forwarding with selected text had been working fine in Yosemite 10.10.2 Mail on my MB Pro until I read tluger's post. I then experimented by changing my preference from “include selected” to “include all” and then back again. Now I cannot reply or forward with selected text using the “include selected” preference option (it always includes all the text). If I choose the “include selected” option, then Mail or the OS will set it back to “include all” when I quit-restart Mail or log out as noted by tluger. I tried that several times and it always reset the preference option back to “include all”. However, I discovered that if you select text, hold down the Option key, and click Reply or Forward, you get the result you would expect with the preference option “include selected”. I don't know if this circumvention will work for everyone but it does work for me.

Feb 14, 2015 12:43 PM in response to rbfraven

I think that it may have been working for me until I accidentally toggled the text selection option. Your workaround works for me, too. Much appreciated.

However, I am pretty sick of needing workarounds for basic features in this app. I also have to use a workaround to view the total messages in my inbox. So, I am going to leave this issue unresolved.

Best,

Todd

"Include selected text" option not working since last Yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.