Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost my administrator password

Hi there,

I would like to reuse a mac that I have not used for a long time (2008) and I have lost the administrator password.

Since I can't open the MAC, I have tried to reboot with a disk system DVD but it did not work saying that the system was older than the one installed on the machine...It is true that I have had several MAcs...

I have an external disk clone of the hard drive that I made in 2004. It that was made before I changed the password on the hard drive for which I have forgotten the password after changing it..

The hard drive mounts OK when I start on the clone but I have found no way to change the password on the parent hard drive.

I don't know haw to proceed to change my lost password

Could someone please help ?

Many thanks in advance

Ivan

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 5:02 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Ilovm

Hi Ivan,

Depending on OSX version, & if it's not the OSX Server edition, as well as NOT a Master PW nor a Filevault PW, nor a Firmware PW...

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

It'll boot like a newly setup Mac, but all your stuff should still be there once filling out the stuff.

lost my administrator password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.