Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to send computer screen to sleep whilst watching Apple TV via airplay using Yosemite?

Does anybody know how to send computer screen to sleep whilst watching Apple TV via airplay using Yosemite? I've tried the hot key Shift + Control + Eject, but that sends the TV's screen as well as my iMac's screen to sleep at the same time. I don't want the 2 screens playing at the same time - I would like to send the computer's screen to sleep whilst the Apple TV continue's to play/mirror. Hoping someone knows how to do this?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 9:26 AM

That wouldn't be possible. The purpose of mirroring is to push your full iMac's display to the Apple TV. If it is asleep then there is nothing to send.

13 replies

Feb 12, 2015 8:43 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks VazaAndrew for your explanation, but I did somehow find a hot key (online) a week or so ago that allowed me to send my iMac's screen to sleep whilst it was playing a rented movie (on Apple TV) via iTunes (think it was by pressing Shift + Control + Eject). Does that function just work in iTunes (only?) when you rent a movie? I don't have a rental movie on hand at the moment to try and replicate that, but it definitely worked for me about a week ago. Anyway, this week I haven't been able to send iMac screen to sleep whilst streaming content via Safari on ABC iView. Just wondering if I fluked sending my iMac's screen to sleep when playing a rented a movie via iTunes and Apple TV?

Feb 13, 2015 8:38 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks Vazandrew for your detailed explanation. I think you've answered my question in that what I'm wanting to do is not possible because it is mirroring in its entirety, unless it is being done via iTunes.

I live in hope that Apple (can in-time) organise the same screen sleep capability that operates via iTunes for people wanting to stream regular online TV via iMac!

I would like to mark my question as answered by you, but had already checked the helpful star before going to mark the answered check mark. Didn't realise you could only mark one or the other…with no editing function.

Your explanation as to what is going on with the mirroring was much appreciated, as I couldn't figure out why the short cut keys worked sometimes (via iTunes) and not others (via regular streamed online TV).

how to send computer screen to sleep whilst watching Apple TV via airplay using Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.