Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb won’t open at all - help!

I built and ran a website for my partner’s small business in iWeb some years ago and have updated it successfully until now. When I’ve tried to open iWeb today, the application refuses to launch. Nothing, nada, zero. :-(

I know Apple have pretty much abandoned it as an App but is there any way I can still open and use it?

I’m feeling slightly sick about the prospect of rebuilding the site from scratch in a new application. Help!

OS X Yosemite

Version 10.10.2

iMac, Mid 2010

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 8:27 AM

What version of iWeb do you have? Only iWeb 3 is compatible with Yosemite. Also starting with Lion the system doesn't handle iWeb's preference file correctly so we need help in opening the domain.sites2 file that iWeb uses to create the websites.

To open your domain file in Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script"/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain. You may get a message that the app was from an unknown developer. If so Control (right) - click on the app and select Open from the contextual menu.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible in Lion or Mt. Lion enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks and Yosemite , go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2015 8:27 AM in response to LittleBlueBench

What version of iWeb do you have? Only iWeb 3 is compatible with Yosemite. Also starting with Lion the system doesn't handle iWeb's preference file correctly so we need help in opening the domain.sites2 file that iWeb uses to create the websites.

To open your domain file in Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script"/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain. You may get a message that the app was from an unknown developer. If so Control (right) - click on the app and select Open from the contextual menu.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible in Lion or Mt. Lion enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks and Yosemite , go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Feb 11, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Old Toad

I’m not super technical so please forgive me if my questions seem a bit rookie.

I’ve located the file in Home/Library/Applications Support/iWeb folder but it won’t open when I click on it. :-(

I’ve tried following the ‘iWeb Switch Domain’ link but get the message

“iWeb Switch Domain” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.”

Thank you for your patience.

Feb 11, 2015 11:54 AM in response to LittleBlueBench

The app was compiled in Yosemite and may not work in Mavericks. Create your own app with Applescript as described above.

However, at this time it might be a good time to consider migrating to a web development app that is actively supported (Apple dropped support of iWeb 2 years ago) and an create sites that meet all of today's HTML specifications without hacks.

One app that many have migrated to because it's GUI and operating features are so similar to iWeb's is EverWeb. There's a demo version of it you can use to see if it will work for you. For other potential apps search the iWeb forum for "iWeb replacement" or "iWeb alternative".

iWeb won’t open at all - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.