Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Ipod software update server could not be contacted": Ipod Restore

When I was trying to update software on my 4th generation Ipod Touch, the screen froze with the 'connect to Itunes' image (i.e. the Itunes logo and the USB). The screen has been frozen that way since and consequently, I have tried to restore my Ipod.

I have uninstalled and installed the latest update of Itunes; updated Windows; re-started my computer numerous times and tried holding the power off/home buttons down together. When Itunes loads, I always get the option of restoring my Ipod however once it has finished extracting software, it says "it cannot be restored at this time because the Ipod software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable".

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone can provide any help in terms of what to do as I am really stuck :/

Thank you!

iPod touch (4th generation)

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 12:16 PM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2015 1:38 PM in response to AllyBally94

Update Server

Try:

- Powering off and then back on your router.

- iTunes for Windows: iTunes cannot contact the iPhone, iPad, or iPod software update server

- Change the DNS to either Google's or Open DNS servers

Public DNS — Google Developers

OpenDNS IP Addresses

- For one user uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes resolved the problem

- Try on another computer/network

- Wait if it is an Apple problem

"Ipod software update server could not be contacted": Ipod Restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.