Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Yosemite not installing because HD not meeting requirements

I recently had to erase my hard disk and reinstall OS X which Apple guided me through so I am now back on OS X 10.10. Before the erase I was on 10.10.2 but experienced bad performance problems so required a rebuild.

Since the reinstall my Dropbox has sequencing issues with Finder which are a known fault so I need to get to 10.10.2 which means I first need to install 10.10.1 however when I try to do this and I select my hard disk I get an error.

"OS X Update cannot be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

I have

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)
  • 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
  • 211 GB of 249 GB free space on HD

I have downloaded the update from support.apple.com/downloads twice but the same thing happens each time.

Anyone experienced this or understand what it is I need to do to get it installed?

Patricia

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 2:10 PM

6 replies

Feb 11, 2015 4:54 PM in response to patti_os

From your linked article

"Choose Apple menu > Restart, and then hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys while the computer restarts."

"Learn more

OS X includes a built-in Recovery system that you can use to reinstall Mac OS X, repair a disk, restore from a Time Machine backup, and more. To use the recovery system, restart your computer while holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys. If you want, you can also install OS X on an external drive, or create an external recovery disk."

That is the Recovery Partition.

Feb 12, 2015 12:57 AM in response to Eric Root

Yes Eric, that is the final paragraph of the page that Apple gave me the link to. I did exactly as Apple instructed and followed the procedure outlined ABOVE that paragraph and ignored that paragraph also as instructed as it was not relevant to my case apparently (see below).

I held down Cmd and R and erased the hard disk and reinstalled OS X so are you, in your post, suggesting I need to do that again and reinstall all the apps? That was a nightmare since not all are AppStore so they had to be resourced from the respective providers. How do I know that going through the procedure again is going to remove my problem? I do not want to spend another day to end up right back at this same point.

Japib asked if I had installed a recovery partition but there is no mention of installing a 'partition' or 'recovery partition' in the procedure given by Apple and I was told I could ignore the paragraph you quote because I have no Time Machine or Disk Drive and anyway Apple have the recovery system built in so it was unnecessary. So I have no idea why Japib thinks I would have installed something that already comes built in to my MacBook.

My problem is that the reinstall has loaded 10.10 and I need urgently to get to 10.10.2 because my DropBox problems are causing me to lose work but I can't get the 10.10.1 update to install for the reason stated above. Can you or anyone explain to me what it is I need to do to get the update to 10.10.1 to install.

Feb 13, 2015 1:21 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your suggestion Eric but I already tried that and it was giving the same errors.

Last night I was on the phone to Apple Support again and my issues was escalated a few times until we found someone who had seen it before. It was caused by the fact I had helped out in the Beta programme for Yosemite last summer and the erase and reinstall of OS X does not completely reset everything.

In case it is of use to you in the future, the cure was to:

• Boot in safe mode holding down the Shift key
  • Open the App Store (which incidentally was not recognising that I was still on 10.10 because previously I had been on 10.10.2 Beta so was not suggesting upgrades)
  • Open the Purchases tab
  • Find OS X on the list and press the upgrade button

Once it was downloaded from there (not from the support.apple.com/downloads pages) and installed everything that had stopped working now worked perfectly. Wireless keyboard and tackpad, wired internet connection and DropBox. So I am good to go. Hope this information helps someone else.

Patricia

OS X Yosemite not installing because HD not meeting requirements

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.