Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone contacts are not syncing up to my google contacts

hi

this use to work once upon a time but it has stopped.

When i enter a new contact on my iphone they are not being backed up or synced up to my google contacts any more. Any ideas ? i know this use to work im on 8.1....

BTW it does work the other way when i add a new contact on my google contacts it does sync it to my iphone automatically...

did i change a setting? i tried removing my gmail account from the phone and that removes all my contacts from the phone except for the ones created on the iphone

followup: if i delete an account that exist on both iphone and gmail, i am able to delete it....so it does update the gmail contacts but is not adding my new iphone contacts

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 6:29 PM

When you are creating the contact, since you have On the iPhone and the Google contacts, you need to make sure what group you are adding the contact to. If you are adding it to the phone group, it doesn't sync to Google. That also explains why when you remove the Gmail account, all of the Google contacts delete from the phone, but you still have contacts created on the phone.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Agustomiy

When you are creating the contact, since you have On the iPhone and the Google contacts, you need to make sure what group you are adding the contact to. If you are adding it to the phone group, it doesn't sync to Google. That also explains why when you remove the Gmail account, all of the Google contacts delete from the phone, but you still have contacts created on the phone.

Feb 11, 2015 6:50 PM in response to Agustomiy

I'm not sure, but you can look as you create the contact to make sure it is going where you want it. I do not use Google or sync to more than one place, so mine are all on my device. I sync to my Outlook on the computer, but there is still only one group of contacts. Check in the Settings area for contacts. Since you have more than one group, a default setting may be available. I do not see one on my phone.

Feb 11, 2015 7:04 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Set Google contacts as your default account on your iOS device

If you have set up iCloud, are syncing contacts from another account, or already have contacts stored on the device, you will need to select a Default Account.

Set your default account

1. Open the Settings app on your device.
  2. Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll down to the Contacts section. You will only see the Default Account option if you're syncing more than one account.
  3. Select Default Account.
  4. Select your Google contacts account.
  5. Your account will be labeled with the description you gave it in the Description field.

Sep 29, 2015 5:29 PM in response to Agustomiy

yes you can change the default contact account to gmail. which is a wise thing to do becuase by using gmail as the central repository of all your contacts you can access those contacts using any of your devices and email clients. on your iphone choose settings>mail.contacts, calendars>scroll way down to Contacts (it's on a gray background) and below that select >Default Account>you will see On my iphone And the name of your gmail account>select your gmail account. a tick mark appears. Now everytime you create a contact on your iphone it will automatically sync to your gmail account. and visa versa. And the same goes for deleting a contact.

my iphone contacts are not syncing up to my google contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.