Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High CPU Usage for Google Drive...Any Known Fix?

I posted this over in the Google support forums, but I figured I'd throw it over here to see if anyone had any thoughts on it.

In the past couple of days, I noticed that my CPU temperature had been much higher than normal...cracking 70º C when idle and, of course, getting warmer when doing other things. As a result, fan speeds ramp up and battery life lessons (I monitor all this with the iStat Pro dashboard widget). I considered doing an SMC reset (and still kept it in my back pocket if the problem persisted). The first thing I did was see what, if anything, was taxing the CPU. I opened Activity Monitor and noted, to my surprise, that Google Drive (running the newest build, 1.19.8406.6504) was using 100% of my CPU! And doing so just sitting in my menubar doing nothing. I quit drive and, within, minutes, my CPU temperature dropped almost 30º. The temperature has, since, been staying put in the 40º-50º C range and the fans speeds around 2000 RPM...both considered "normal" ranges for near-idle behavior on my MacBook. Resetting the SMC has remained unnecessary.

Any other Google Drive users out there who have seen this problem? Anyone found a fix? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 8:05 PM

7 replies

Jan 30, 2017 11:45 PM in response to Cerebro

I'm experiencing this problem as well. Most of the time Google Drive uses up half of the available system memory, sometimes even more. When my system is getting slow I can be almost certain that Drive is using up exorbitantly high system resources. Simply restarting the process or the system are no fixes, installing the latest available version of Drive didn't help either.

High CPU Usage for Google Drive...Any Known Fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.