Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cracked ipad air screen

HI EVERYONE I HAVE AN NEW IPAD AIR AND HAVE CRACKED THE SCREEN.

THE LOCAL REPAIR SHOP DOES NOT HAVE THE PARTS AND HE WANTED TO CHARGE ME

$362 TO FIX IT WHEN HE GOT THE PARTS IN.

HE SAID I SHOULD TAKE IT BACK TO APPLE AND THEY WILL SWAP MY IPAD FOR A NEW

ONE FOR $300. THIS DOESNT seem right.

what do i do.

cheers nicole

iPad Air, iOS 8, cracked screen

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 10:37 PM

10 replies

Jan 25, 2017 10:29 AM in response to nicolefrompeakhurst

I know this post is rather dated now but I just thought I'd add my two cents. Someone mentioned the digitizer being one of the most exspensive parts in the iPad Air 2, to put it plainly, this person clearly isn't very educated in how much these cost. The two most exapensive things in your iPads are: logic boards, and the lcd screens. The actual digitizer it's self is one of the most inexpensive parts in the iPad. Why people charge so much to fix them is beyond me, I buy the same ones apple use for the iPads for 15-20 dollars and replace them myself, which is fairly easy. It only becomes a pain if the screen is really fragmented, then you just have to take your time. With that being said I have no doubt apple gets them for pennies on the dollar, but I'm sure they would rather sell a new iPad then replace a broken one, more $$. But hey ,that's capitalism at its finest. So why apple charges more? To sell more iPads rather then replace their screens. Why other people charge more? That's a really great question, my best guess is that they know other people probabaly think it's an incredible sophisticated repair so they are afraid to do it themselves.

Feb 11, 2015 11:48 PM in response to nicolefrompeakhurst

If you are in Peakhurst in Australia then the out-of-warranty replacement (accidental damage isn't covered by the warranty) for an iPad Air is A$369, for an iPad Air 2 it's A$469 : Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

If you are in the US then it's $299 for the Air, $379 for the Air 2 : Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

(For future info typing all in capitals is considered shouting and makes posts difficult to read, and may mean that people are less likely to reply.)

May 22, 2015 11:42 AM in response to nicolefrompeakhurst

nicolefrompeakhurst wrote:

Does anyone know why it cost so much to replace the iPad screens

Because the displays are one of the single most expensive parts of any tablet, and it takes a well trained technician to remove and install one without damaging the rest of the device. The displays are also a very high demand, relative to supply, item, which also drives up the cost.

cracked ipad air screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.