Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you delete transparent file from hard drive?

Hi. I lent my hard drive to my friend and came back with this weird file named "\". I want to delete this file, but when ever I put this in the trash and empty it, my computer starts lagging. (So I have to relaunch my Finder) This file doesn't allow me to rename it. If anyone knows the way to delete this, please tell me. Thanks

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 2:47 AM

4 replies

Feb 13, 2015 12:16 PM in response to rebellium.rebel

Good day rebellium.rebel,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It seems like Finder quits unexpectedly whenever you try to delete a file from your external hard drive.

Try using the steps in this article under "Delete a locked item from your Mac" or "Securely empty the Trash" next:

OS X Yosemite: Delete files and folders

These steps apply to previous versions of OS X as well.

All the best,

Jeremy

Feb 16, 2015 4:31 PM in response to rebellium.rebel

Hi rebellium.rebel,

Thank you for your reply.

Another option to consider would be formatting (erasing) the hard drive, after moving your files off of it.

You can find a step-by-step guide for this in the below article, which are good general steps although the article references Aperture:

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture - Apple Support

If the files reappear in the future, some of the steps in this guide may be helpful, such as checking with the manufacturer regarding this situation and whether the drive requires additional software:

USB and FireWire Quick Assist - Apple Support

Best Regards,

Jeremy

How do you delete transparent file from hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.