Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up a network hard disk so I can restart my MacBook from it?

I have a 2TB Freecom XS Network hard disk, and I want to be able to restart my MacBook from it with my current OS, Leopard 10.5.8, when I have upgraded the OS on the MacBook to Snow Leopard 10.6.3 [as a possible precursor to Mavericks or even Yosemite]. The problem is that the MacBook doesn't recognise the XS as a network disk: the XS has been assigned an IP number, and I can mount it as a server volume, and I have copied all the system folders/files onto it, but that is no use if the system doesn't recognise it as a network disk for a restart [I've tried]. The system/library/users/applications folders are in a Macintosh HD folder as on the MacBook, but this folder is inside a root folder named PUBLIC: could this be part of the problem? I thought I might be able to reinstal the OS on the network disk using the original system installation discs, but after restarting the MacBook as instructed, the network disk isn't recognised as a destination for installing the OS. I don't want to instal Snow Leopard on the MacBook before I'm sure I can reboot it with Leopard, using the network disk.

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 5:42 AM

5 replies

Feb 12, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Father Ewan

Hello,

First let me say I'm no expert on this, but I do not think this is going to work at all for just a Networked Drive.

I believe you need a networked Mac running OSX Server edition to do this...

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202061

I don't want to instal Snow Leopard on the MacBook before I'm sure I can reboot it with Leopard...

Very good idea, I suggest an external USB or Firewire drive or 2 to clone to or install the new OSX to. 🙂

Feb 13, 2015 7:35 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua.

Thank you for your reply. I don't know how much what I omitted to disclose in my original post might affect what you've told me, but I have a wireless network set up with a 500GB Time Capsule, to which a broadband router and another backup disk [1TB, daisy-chained to the TC] are connected. Given the difficulty I had initially, setting up the network [mainly because of my ineptitude where comms are concerned], I didn't want to risk connecting the Freecom drive to the TC, in case it changed the network settings [or worse, disrupt my internet access], and I haven't done it hitherto. I did try connecting the ethernet cable to the wireless router however, with neutral results: still possible to manually mount the drive as a server, and it shows in the Network folder in my MacBook's root folder.

Further to an email from Freecom's support department [effectively just a request for part number, proof of purchase, etc.], I followed their suggestion and tried connecting the drive to the MacBook using the USB 2 cable, and the drive showed up in the device section of the Finder window sidebar, but I would guess that this option wouldn't enable the drive to function as a boot drive either? Also, unless I'm mistaken, USB offers much slower data transfer speeds than Gigabit Ethernet? I'm hoping I've not dropped a monumental bollock, because I'm positive from my pre-purchase research that Gigabit Ethernet is faster than FireWire or USB2, which is why I chose this drive over cheaper USB drives [like the 1TB Western Digital drive daisy-chained to the TC]; or am I mistaken?

To get back to your answer though, I don't dispute what you say, because I'm sure I'm much less of an expert than you might be, but I would nevertheless like to be able to boot up from the Freecom drive, if a way to do that is possible, even if it means biting the bullet and connecting it to the Time Capsule [assuming that this will work: can you advise?], without needing to investigate and purchase additional kit. I've had a scan of the forum, and I've seen a few suggestions which mention cloning, but I don't know how this works: I presume I'd have to buy the appropriate app for that? Your answer seems to suggest installing the new OS onto an external drive [although, worryingly, you don't mention Ethernet as an option] using cloning, so I'd be grateful if you could explain that.

I just hope that my desire to save the cost of a newer Mac of some description, be it new or refurbished, but giving me the newest OS possible on the MacBook [Yosemite, I'm guessing], doesn't end up costing me something uncomfortably similar, cumulatively.

Any practical and reasonably-priced suggestions welcome and considered! Thanks again 😕

Feb 14, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Father Ewan

Gig Ethernet is faster indeed, but not bootable, attaching it via USB would make it bootable after cloning an OS to it.

Get carbon copy cloner to make an exact copy of your old HD to the New one...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Or SuperDuper...

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/

Or the most expensive one & my favorite, Tri-Backup...

http://www.tri-edre.com/english/tribackup.html

How do I set up a network hard disk so I can restart my MacBook from it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.