Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage doing odd things now that I am using MacBookPro too.

I just purchased a new MacBookPro (Feb 2015) and I use an iPhone 5S. I use iMessage 100%. When my MacBook was finished with the updates I saw that I can now iMessage without looking at my phone when I am working.. Great thing in my world...so I started using it immediately. Now I am getting some odd behaviors that I need to correct.

Within my close circle of friends/family that I message with constantly (all iPhones) I see the messages on the MacBook correctly, but any group message shows as a new "unknown" group message on my phone. If I try to reply within that "unknown" group I cannot. the button is grayed out. I must go down to the original group and reply there. The original group does not show the rest of the conversation.... only this new "unknown" group.

iMessage has always worked without issue for me. This started the moment that I started using iMessage on my MacBook.

I know I could just disable it on my MacBook...but I love the idea of the feature and would rather make it work correctly.

iPhone is updated as of 2/11/15

MacBookPro updated at same time.

Contacts are synced

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 7:17 AM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Gr8Flood

Hi Gr8Flood,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you're using iMessages on your iPhone and MacBook Pro, but group messages on your iPhone are not working as expected.

Since the unexpected behavior happens on your iPhone, I recommend starting with these steps from the troubleshooting article below:

Restart your device and check for updates

1. Restart your device.
  2. Check for a carrier settings update.
  3. Check for an iOS software update.

Turn iMessage off and back on

Go to Settings > Messages and turn iMessage off, then back on.

Sign out and back in to iMessage and FaceTime

1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  3. On your iPhone first, sign back in to iMessage and Facetime.
  4. Sign back in to iMessage and Facetime on your other devices.

Reset your network settings

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

All the best,

Jeremy

iMessage doing odd things now that I am using MacBookPro too.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.