Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto, unable to launch iphoto library from time capsule

I´m using a Mac Book Pro with OSX version 10.10.2 and I´m having trouble launching iphoto with an iphoto library that is located at my Time Capsule.

Iphoto´s version is 9.6 and when I open it and select the iphoto library I´m trying to launch there´s a message requesting library update. When I click the update prompt, iphoto hangs and after a while when I force to exit there is the problem prompt.

I have tried also with the iphoto library upgrader tool but it says my library is up to date and that it may be used with the latest iphoto version.

I was using iphoto and my library 2 weeks ago with no problem.

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 8:28 AM

6 replies

Feb 12, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Flugka

We need details

How is the TC connected? (the iphoto library must be on a fast hard wired connection like FileWire, UB or Thuderbolt - it can to be on network or a wireless connection)

Is this a copy of an iPhoto library or a TimeMachine backup?

Are you using the TC just as an external drive or it is being used for your TM backup volume? (You should not have your iphoto library on the same volume as your TM backup - if yo do you have no backup of your photos and eventually TM will fill the volume causing iphoto to stop working)

LN

Feb 18, 2015 2:50 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks LarryHN

The TC is connedted via wireless, I´ve tried also connecting it via a network cable (disabling the network connection) but the result is the same.

The iphoto library is not a copy, it´s actually the one that was on my Macbook but I moved it to the TC to release some HD space.

The TC is also being used for Time Machine backup. I´m not sure how many space is it using and if it´s possible to divide the drive used for backup and for storage.

Thanks again.

Feb 18, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Flugka

The TC is connedted via wireless, I´ve tried also connecting it via a network cable (disabling the network connection) but the result is the same.

That is not an appropriate location for an iPhoto Library:

iSee this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more. Note the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

Feb 26, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence,

My Iphoto library is actually stored in a Time Capsule, not a windows formatted external drive. I was having trouble with this library as it is big and I was out of storage in my mac, that´s why I bought the TC. I noticed it was hard to view pictures from the TC wirelessly.

Thanks for your comment

Feb 26, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Flugka

The TC is also being used for Time Machine backup

Again

(You should not have your iphoto library on the same volume as your TM backup - if yo do you have no backup of your photos and eventually TM will fill the volume causing iphoto to stop working)

You need a second hard drive with a direct connection to your Mac - you should not share a TM backup and an iPhoto library on the sam drive and the iphoto library can not be on a wireless connection

LN

iphoto, unable to launch iphoto library from time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.