Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need Printer Software for Canon PIXMA MP600

I have just replaced my startup hard drive. I installed OS X 10.10.2 and then migrated everything from Time Machine that I had backed up from my failed start up disk. Now I get an alert that software is not available for this printer. Canon says me that they do not provide the driver, but when I try to set this printer up in system preferences, I get an Alert message "The software for this printer is currently unavailable. Please contact the pritner's manufacturer for the latest software." The available Gutenprint software does not implement all the features of this printer.

This printer is available on my network through my Airport Extreme Base Station. My other iMac, also running Yosemite, prints apparently has the correct software and prints as expected.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Canon PIXMA MP600

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 12:55 PM

9 replies

Feb 12, 2015 2:32 PM in response to kingfisher500

You may need to update the version of Gutenprint that you are using on this Mac. The latest is v5.2.10 and works on Yosemite.

If the latest Gutenprint driver still generates the same message then you could try installing the MP600 v10.51 driver for OS X 10.7, which was the last driver that Canon released for the MP600. Note that this driver is not signed for Yosemite so Gatekeeper will block the installation of the driver. To get past Gatekeeper, right-click (or Control-click if right click is not enabled) and select Open from the pop-up menu that appears. You will now be give the option to install the driver. Once the driver installation has completed you can add the printer selecting the Canon MP600 series driver in the Use menu.

Feb 12, 2015 2:44 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

None of that worked, but I did solve the problem albeit in an unorthodox manner.

As I said, I have another iMac running Yosemite that has no such problem. That Mac is running a Canon Printer Driver version 10.67.1.0, which is a later version than any I could find at Canon.

I went to /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ on that machine and made a copy of the file CanonIJMP600.ppd.gz. I then moved that file into the /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ folder on my problem Mac and, voila, problem solved.

Feb 12, 2015 2:52 PM in response to kingfisher500

kingfisher500 wrote:

I went to /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ on that machine and made a copy of the file CanonIJMP600.ppd.gz. I then moved that file into the /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ folder on my problem Mac and, voila, problem solved.

Copying the PPD would not be enough to solve the issue, unless you already had the Canon driver installed on the non-working Mac. Anyway, good to read that you got it working.

Feb 13, 2015 5:56 AM in response to PAHU

I was using the Canon printer on the Mac before the startup drive crashed, and I had everything on that drive backed up with Time Machine. After I initialized the new drive, I installed Yosemite and then migrated everything from Time Machine to the new drive. To solve the problem, I actually copied two files from my other working iMac:

First I copied a folder in /Library/Printers/Canon names BJPrinter, which was missing from the new hard drive. The new drive had a folder named IJScanner in that location, but not BJPrinter, which cantained six sub-folders, but that did not solve the problem. Next I copied the PPD CanonIJMP600.ppd.gz from the other iMac to the new drive, and that solved the problem.

I had also installed the file CanonIJMP600R.ppd, but that, of course, is not the correct PPD.

Anyway, thanks to both you and Baby Boomer for responding to my plea and suggesting possible fixes.

I need Printer Software for Canon PIXMA MP600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.