Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 4th gen ipod touch imessage will no longer work

Hello, My 4th generation ipod touch imessage last month has stopped working. I have tried every trick in the book from signing in and out of imessage, facetime, my apple account. Resetting settings, and i even backed up my data to my pc and factory reset my itouch. And now my itouch wont even show my previous message history i've had saved. When i attempt to message someone it shows a red exclamation mark and says my message can't be sent. And i've had a friend sit next to me and send me a imessage, it'll register it's sent from them but i will never receive it.

How can i get my imessage to work again, theirs some important people who are deployed who i am only able to communicate via imessage with.

And also how can i get my previous messages and saved history to show up, i know i backed them up but i have no idea how to access them anymore.

Thank you- Marco

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.6, null

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 11:57 AM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2015 12:45 PM in response to SneakyMongoose

Not knowing what your tried:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

Try when connected to another network

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem, make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Mar 19, 2015 10:15 AM in response to SneakyMongoose

I have an old iPod Touch with old software that can no longer be updated:

iOS version 6.1.6

I've been searching for a solution to my iMessage login problem for months and tried everything from those frustrating links and all the tips from other users.

Here is what finally worked:

1) Settings > Privacy > Location Services > On

2) Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Automatically > On

3) Reboot device until Apple logo appears

4) Settings > Messages > Sign In

My 4th gen ipod touch imessage will no longer work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.