Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have a"Missing Manual" called "iPhoto 11" when the latest is iPhoto 9.6?

Does this make any sense to anybody?

Thanks.

deu

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iPhoto 9.6

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 12:46 PM

that is due to Apple's unorthodox naming scheme:

iPhoto '11 refers to the iLIfe '11 bundle, which iPhoto is a part of. iPhoto version 9.0 to 9.6 are aka iPhoto '11.

23 replies

Feb 12, 2015 12:54 PM in response to 1andonlyDEU

1andonlyDEU wrote:

Does this make any sense to anybody?

Thanks.

deu

Only to Apple.

iPhoto '11 is a reference to the year & the 'iLife version' (I'm guessing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhoto

iPhoto 9, 9.5 and 9.6 are all different major versions that are often mixed up as 'iPhoto 11'. Since the missing manual book was published in 2011 it is probably for iPhoto 9 (not 9.5 or higher).

I don't think Apple used the term iPhoto '11 very much after 9.5 came out, but is still got popular with third parties.

It's a stupid mess, iMovie has the same confusing issue too.

Feb 12, 2015 1:48 PM in response to léonie

Yup! I really like iPhoto. While Apple can continually badger to onto the "Cloud", I simply won't do it. I have no need for it at all. And, from whatI read the new "Photos" will be overplayed onto iPhoto 9.6 in can I don't care for it. I guess I'm a different kind of person... I'm retired and I have no need to have my pictures

any other device than my iMac. Permit me a personal thought: we are all overcorrected, over communicated and over-speak reigns. Except at this desk.

Thanks again!

deu

Feb 12, 2015 1:57 PM in response to 1andonlyDEU

Yup! I really like iPhoto. While Apple can continually badger to onto the "Cloud", I simply won't do it. I have no need for it at all.

You are right. If you do not need to sync your library to there devices, why pay for cloud storage, and waste bandwidth to access them in iCloud, when it is much quicker to work with them on locally connected drives?

Just a caution - If you want to keep enjoying iPhoto, be careful before upgrading to new MacOS X versions. Wait before upgrading, until you are sure the newer version will still support iPhoto, and never upgrade without a full backup the Mac, so you can revert to the previous system. Apple announced that iphoto will be supported with Yosemite, but better be safe than sorry.

Feb 12, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hi Drew...

I agree. Not sure I was condemning the impending "Photo" app. It appears that there will be a choice... move to there new or stay with the old. But , in all likelihood, there will come a time (sooner than later) when Apple will not continue to support the old. I don't want to make an issue of this. After all, there are plenty of apps that do the same thing that iPhoto does. The problem I have is that Apple wants everybody on the Cloud... whether they like it /want it or not.

When I first bought the new sooper-dooper iMac this is being written on virtually every step of the way I was confronted with making a decision concerning my moving to the Cloud. The cloud may be great for businesses, corporations, but for folks like me (and we're legion) it makes no sense. Further, lets say you buy a new iMac, lets say by the time you're done you've got $3000 tied up. What does the Cloud give you that you don't already have built. Or have you spent that money for dumb terminal... a workstation. In my career I worked with loads of Art Directors...the professionals who put Apple on the map. The loved their Apples. But they came to dislike Apple's arrogance. Didn't make any difference to me until I bought this new iMac. Now I understand. That noted, end of rant, and I'll keep taking my pictures and using iPhoto until they render it useless. Despite criticism from some users, iPhoto is a sensational app! I just don't think the Cloud and being able to connect every apple device to it is worth it... on any level. Forgive my rant.

due

Feb 13, 2015 9:52 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

The iCloud PhotoLibrary is the most prominent feature 😁

You're right, nobody needs to use iCloud photo library with Photos, and we cannot discuss Photos here, beyond what Apple has released.

It's all over the media léonie,

http://sixcolors.com/post/2015/02/the-hard-link-between-photos-and-iphoto/

I'm not sure what is under NDA, but there appears to be an awful lot of 'loose lips' if it isn't meant to be discussed 🙂

Why do I have a"Missing Manual" called "iPhoto 11" when the latest is iPhoto 9.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.