Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Worried ~ Reported Phishing Website Ahead!

I was using google search in Safari to look at images and one of the things I clicked on to look at closer caused my browser to lock up. It displayed a Safari symbol next to the word browser, and said

Reported Phishing Website Ahead!

Your network has monitored.

The browser hijacking software may redirect you towards

phishing websites that try to access your login, password details.

To fix browser redirection issue we recommend you to ask for

instant help.

Help Line: 1-855-267-4256

And a pop-up with the Safari symbol and an OK button, which remained in the browser when other windows were opened, said

http://www.404-errors.info

Security Error.

Call helpline 1-855-267-4256

This is clearly a scam and not Safari's built in warning system, however I am worried now that having this page pop up and accidentally clicking the okay button caused some harm to my Macbook Pro? I had to force quit and then Shift-Restart Safari, and cleared all of my history, caches and passwords. I checked my preferences and all of the security measures were turned off. Do I need to wipe my HD and start over? Change all my passwords? Should I be worried?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 3:03 PM

5 replies

Feb 20, 2015 10:41 AM in response to MarieCO

The same exact thing just happened to me.

I called the number. They just answer "Security".

So I asked security for what?

"The computer, we are Apple certified techs"

Ok, I explain the warning and he says "Ok, I need to first have access to your computer to be able to remotely clear your screen"

What I figured… so I said "go scratch" and hung up.

Worried ~ Reported Phishing Website Ahead!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.